Water in One Tank

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I've had to empty the fuel filter on my port engine twice, and drained a bunch of water out of my racor. This is only happening on my port engine. I run each engine off different tanks. Replaced engine media as well as racor media each time.

I've replaced the O rings on the fuel filler caps.

We run a charter 3 days a week as clients and weather allow. This has been a fantastic albacore year and we burn over 100 gallons each trip so lots of fuel has been put through the tanks.

Photos from 2 incidents.20191005_110439.jpg20190906_150941.jpg

So what else might explain water getting into just one tank?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Do you have vented caps or separate vents? You might get water in the vent. Possibly when you spray the boat down? Can't imagine it could get in from a leak on top of the tank as you would also leak gas.
I assume you filled both tanks at same time so that rules out the fuel dock as the source.

Do you have the Racor filters with the clear bottom? I would switch to them so you can see the problem immediately.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looking at the first picture, I see double separation lines. Probably saltwater on the bottom, then freshwater on top of that then gasoline on top of that. If you use a small plastic straw with your finger over the top end, you can access each level and pull from each one separately to verify. If what I have mentioned is so, then I would guess that you have a compromised gasket on top of your tank that feeds that troublesome filter housing. Saltwater from spray coming aboard on those long tuna runs out of Garibaldi (yeah, I know your neighborhood);)and saltwater from all the deck washing while killing all those tuna, then freshwater when washing with a hose back at the dock and from the rain you get in the great northwest between trips is getting onto the top of the tank and finding it's way inside. Just one scenario. I'll be curious to hear what you find as the actual problem.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've had the same issue with my 330. The larger main tank (200g) seems to be the common theme. I've changed O-rings also. Tank vents are inside the caps, unlike older systems. It seems after I finally get through purging the water, it will be good for a year or so, maybe two. Have only had fresh water, not three separations like your first pic. Your fuel looks a little cloudy, not clear and bright as it should be. My fuel is perfectly clear and bright. I only use non-ethanol with marine Stabil or Starbrite stuff. I also add a little two stroke oil in an attempt to minimize the exhaust corrosion problems that are common to F250s in the early 2000 models. I can only attribute my water to seasonal temp changes causing condensation in the tanks. In the morning my tanks are quite cool and by afternoon a lot warmer and the air is very humid here in north central Florida. Keeping the tanks full should minimize the condensation, but carrying 350 gallons makes my boat a lot more of a dog! My Yamaha water separators do the job until they get over half full and then I get the warning from the engine filters. We only burn about 50 gallons per trip. I can put in new filters (water separators and paper elements) in just a few minutes now when underway. I carry a quart jar and spares. I did have a failure of the "water in fuel" warning system once and had to drain the VST to get the engine to run again. I now check the system each filter change by inverting the filter bowl while plugged in with the key on and make sure the warning system works. Mine are 2006 F250s. Pulled the deck and inspected both tanks and all the hose, fittings etc. Tanks look fine even near the bilge. Bilges remain dry as mine lives on a lift. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I'll pull the deck this winter to check on the gaskets. Before pulling the deck I'll put a camera in position to film the opening, then do a normal washdown. That will tell me if water is getting by the inspection plates. Those o rings were slicked up with gly slyde, so I think they are water tight. You never know until you video them.

I may change them to screw in plates.

I wish I could change the racor filters in mere minutes. I have to take up the rear deck plate . I didn't bother to recaulk these last 2 times thinking I may need to change filters again.

This boat is a 2007 with 2007 model engines. This is the first year this has been an issue. The fuel tanks are topped off after each trip or within a day. Faithfull use of Ring Free, now with the fuel additive also. I have the clear racor bowls, but the filters are just far enough away from the inspection plates that I cannot see the bowls. I have to take up the rear deck.

I'm not certain of three levels of liquid, I think that may be a light trick. It has been dumped at the recycle facility.

I'll update as to what I find. Here is a photo before cleaning the top of the tank this spring. I scrubbed with Simple Green, hosed off and let dry.20190425_144531.jpgPhotoEditor-20190504140847.jpg Everything was then sprayed with HD Corrosion X. 20190502_161338.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
Three layers of liquid usually mean phase separation which is caused by a excessive water in the gas. Phase separation can't be reversed and the mixture has to be pumped out and properly disposed. One possible cause I didn't see mentioned is a bad fill up. I see this more often when you are one of the first boats to gas up after the winter at a fuel dock that doesn't pump a lot of gas during the winter. Of course

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Looks like you get water on top of the tanks from leak around the access ports and the hatch seal. But if water is getting in the tank you would also have gas coming out when the tank is full.

I'm not familiar with that model. You have to unscrew a deck to access the filters and bilge pump? I guess you have a 6" port in the deck.
Had similar on my 265. I put in a large Tempress cam lock hatch so I could keep the deck screwed down & sealed and still get my head and elbows in there.