Water intrusion???? 228 Seafarer

hangman1176

Reaction score
When I pull the boat out of the water it seams to have a lot of water coming out of plug (approx 2-3 gallons). The bilge pumps work but even after being in the water a few days they won't kick on. I can't figure it out if it's excess water from the pumps? It's a 1997 and not sure if it's suppose to be like this. I pulled the entire rear deck cover but that only gave me acess to the fuel tank. If a fitting was busted wouldn't water keep coming in and the bilge pumps would come on? I did manually check the pumps and they do work. I may be wrong but I'm thinking something is going on in the water pickup for wash down??? Any suggestions. The thru hull fittings do not show any signs as though one would be cracked but I could be wrong.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Over what period of time did you get this amount of water? And did it rain at all during this period?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
These boats are notorious for water getting into the bilge through the anchor locker. Spray, the hose during washdown, rain, etc...can all send water into the anchor locker, and it runs "downhill" from there.

hangman1176

Reaction score

This occurs within 5 minutes of putting the boat in the water at the ramp. No spray from washdown, rough water, or any thing else other than sitting in the water which tends to make me believe it has something to do with the water pick-ups under the boat which run to the wash down and bait well pumps. Everything works fine but still confused as of right now.

choogenboom

Reaction score
1) the bilge pumps are not perfect and even if you run them until they completely stop pumping water there may be a few gallons left in the bilge. You can test the bilge pumps in your driveway. Put a garden hose into your bilge and turn it on full and see if the pump periodically turns on. Test the aft pump with the trailer tilted up and the forward pump with the trailer tilted down.

2) I had a similar problem (salt water in my bilge) on my 1994 228 G which I traced back to cracked nylon thru hulls. Are the thru hulls on your 1997 nylon? If so, look carefully for cracks as they can be hard to spot. Even a cracked above the water line thru hull can let water in if there is mild wave action.

3) use a shop vac to suck the bilge dry and then put the boat in the water with a dry bilge. Then with a flash light, watch the bilge and see where the water is running in from. You can see the live well/washdown water pickup directly so if its leaking you should be able to see it. Each thru hull has a deck plate that will allow access and visual inspection. Remove all the deck plates and inspect each thru hull for signs of water.

4) The livewell is pretty easy to remove and once out you have unfettered access to the bilge.

Finally, can you clarify that in the case you describe where the boat is in the water for a few days and the bilge pumps do not come on, is the water level in the bilge rising? What is the reason you think the bilge pumps should be coming on?

TBone

Reaction score
I was having a similar problem, and couldnt figure it out, i'd pull the plug and water would come out, few gals mabey.....until one day this fall i noticed my bilge pump kept kicking on, i popped the rear hatch to see water coming in from the port :shock: :shock: :shock: WTF

It turned out to be that one of my scupper drain hoses had failed due to dry rot and the motion of the ocean was knocking the water right in.

luckily i had a plug to fit the scupper hole and stop the water.

I then had to take out the bait well to get at it to patch it over for the rest of the day. PIA!

But ya check your hoses, mine didnt look to bad when i inspected them in the spring, was planning on replacing them along with the thru hulls last winter, but my Thesis got in the way. The salt water and summer heat sure did make them break down quickly.

It started out as just a confusing slow leak, which i thought was wash down spray or residual rain....the last time before the fail, i did a taste test to find if it was salt of fresh, salty. that day was pretty rough so thought may be overspray in the anchor locker. Nope

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I noticed this season that I, too, have excessive water in the bilge. I had the bilge pump replaced (had to remove livewell and all hose attachments)
and just chalked up the extra water as poor re-installation. But, I did notice a couple months ago that the outer flange on one of the thru-hulls was gone. I'm confidant that when I check them all, (winter project) there will be others.
As far as the water through the anchor locker, your forward bilge should take care of that.

hangman1176

Reaction score
STUMPED!!

Can any one experienced help shed some light......I've had the boat up on the trailer and went out to the garage and noticed a drop of water every 5 seconds coming out of the bilge plug. The garage floor is wet all over 5'x5' area. I did pull the plug while the boat was on the incline of the ramp to drain out when I put it on the trailer. I also cranked the jack up all the way when I unhitched but I'm seeing this water after parking it 3 weeks ago.............stumped!!!!!!!!

I'm fearing a transom issue but keep on telling myself the boat has never been slipped, grounded, damaged etc... I've always put it back on the trailer. There is no signs of water compromising the hull nor the tansom. I so have a transom mounted transducer so I pulled it to check the screws and upon oversizing the screw hole I did NOT notice any cool damp cuttings......looks good but still stumped!!!!!!!!! Any one offer some assistance??

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do you replace any of your inspection hatch gaskets that are in the floor, they should be replaced every season, every other at a minimum. This is an easy way for water to get in after washing the boat down. Do you have plastic through hulls or bronze/SS? If they are plastic I'd lean towards that as the culprit. If it is neither of these it could be your sea cock for the washdown, it might be leaking, either a leaky hose that is draining to the bilge when under pressure but turned off, or the sea cock itself might be loose or not installed correctly. A bda scupper could put water in the cockpit, but it should drain out, not into the boat if everything is ok. Do you have a transom mount transducer or a thru hull transducer? Ever check how that is mounted and if either is losose? If transom mount, are all the screws still there or did some rust out? Were they sealed with a quality sealant like 3m 4200 or 5200, silicone and such will not do the job for a transom. Hope this helps, and hopefully it is a quick fix and not something serious.

hangman1176

Reaction score

thanks for the input gradyfish. A few more observations, the screws were all there and in place with no rust on the transom mounted transducer. The holes were filled with 5200 or 4200 (what ever one is below water). I don;t see and issue at that point.

The boat is always stored indoors in my pole building so I water hasn't been entering the boat. The hatch covers do look fine and the seals appear like new. The last time I used the boat I just went for a ride and no water of any sort came on the inside of the floor. (No need for a wash down I'm on fresh water here in Michigan).

This takes me to the seacocks which I find your reply interesting and I actuallty thought THATS IT!! However, if a seacock is faultly and the system is presurized wouldn't it lose pressure eventually and the pump would come on while on the trailer? And if the power is shut off (always is after returning to the garage) then wouldn't the water stop running from the pump?

I'm almost thinking that water is between the pick-up and the pump but then wouldn't it all drain out once the boat is pulled from the water? I did drain the fresh water tank and ran both pumps (which really shouldn't be done).........nothing but air. Any other ideas?

Again, thanks for trying to help me narrow this down.
T.R.

Barlow46

Reaction score
Close seacocks. Put plug in hull. While on the trailer, fill the bilge with garden hose until bilge pump comes on. Turn bilge pump off (disconnect from battery) Add a few more gallons of water. Get down where you can see if it is draining back out seacock or other location. (Don't overload trailer with excess water).

choogenboom

Reaction score
The water in the hose above the seacock would drain if the seacock was open. Was it?

I was going to suggest draining your fresh water tank but you already did that. I assume you still have a steady drip even after draining the tank?

On my 228 I could see the bilge with a powerul flashlight when looking through the starboard stern seat; can you see the gleam of a trail of water from your garboard drain leading up to anywhere?

One thought is it could be coming from the forward bilge. I believe there are fairly small holes (about 3/4" if memory serves) through the ribs which allow water to travel between the "compartments" created by the ribs and if those holes were plugged with leaves, dead critters etc then you could theoretically have gallons of water forward that is slowly draining through a almost fully blocked drain hole in one or more of the hull's ribs. Simple test - dump a quart of water into the front of the boat through the anchor locker and see if a quart (more or less) comes out the garboard drain in a reasonable amount of time. Note that if the water level in the forward bilge gets high enough it will go over the top of the ribs so for this test to be effective use only a small (ie quart) amount of water. Don't just put a running hose into your anchor locker or you will surely see water come out the garboard drain, but will still not have proven one way or another if the drainage channels through the ribs are clear.

Another test is to rock the boat on teh trailer and listen for unexpected sloshing. Quite by accident thats how I discovered my engine bracket was full to the top with sea water.

Let me know how it goes.

Chris

seasick

Reaction score
Probably bige water that is just running slowly back. Wet transoms or cores can stay wet for a long time, months or more, especially in humid climates and often don't 'drain'. They just stay wet.

lower the bow a bit if possible and see if the dripping stops. If it does, you probably have water in the foward bilge area. Jack up the bowhigher than it originally was a see if the flow increases. If so, you definitely have water in the forward bilge. That's not necessarily a bad sign.

Get a small fan, open up the inspection covers or other covers, battery doors, etc and blow some air through for a day or two. That should help eliminate the residual moisture ( as long as the humidity is low).

upmuddy

Reaction score
water

It's not uncommon for ALL fiberglass hulls to have a very small amount of water infiltration.
F/G by nature, is not totally impervious to water.

I have a 2001 Adventure that has absolutely dry bilge, but that seems to be the exception, rather than the rule!

Good luck!

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My '00 228 has also has a very dry bilge. I've never had the bilge pumps come on except when I occasionally rinse the bilge.

hangman1176

Reaction score
PROBLEM NOT SOLVED

Well, it still there. I didn't use the boat much last year. But I noticed that while fishing the rear bilge fills up in about 2 hours which the pump then kicks on. There is a slight amount of water coming on top of the foamed insulation under the inspection cover behind / under the helm seat. I cannot locate where it's coming from.

I spent a considerable amount of time attempting to track down the issue with no luck. I really think that it's somewhere in the water pickup for the washdown but haven't been able to conclude this. STUMPPED!!!!!!!

hangman1176

Reaction score
Threw the boat in the water and finally found the problem. The speedo water line that runs to the dash was part broken/cut. The tear was located just inside the forward tubes that are factory installed between the stingers.

I believe the line was torn during installation of the auto pilot. The wires were fished through the same tube. The kicker is the speedo wasn't working before the auto pilot was installed. Always read 8-10 mph. Replacing the line should solve both problems.

Once the tank was taken out I probed the drain hole from fuel tank compartment to bilge. A small amount of debris came out and the water flowed smoothly. The main fuel tank is in the way to gert at directly. I'm thinking of pulling the tank and giving the compartment a cleaning.

Just another note, the line was creating a natural siphon which when the boat was docked which is why the pump kept coming on.