Water Pump Change on FP Generator

HMBJack

Reaction score
After 266 hours, I just replaced the impeller on my Fischer Panda Water Pump (model year 2006).

If you have done this job, you know how difficult it is to remove and replace the 4 little nuts that hold the water pump cover plate on.

To put the 4 nuts on, I always have at least another 4 handy as I drop and lose them.
There is a ~1.5" vertical exhaust (?) hose there next to the water pump that I disconnect for a little better access.
But I have large fingers and that water pump is in a God awful location.

Do any of you have any Tips or Special Tools that you use?

I wish to make this difficult task a little less difficult next time I do it.

Thanks,

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You may have already done this, but I replaced the original studs with ones that had allen wrench heads. Then insert an allen wrench, if not tight, put some heavy grease/glue on the head to hold the wrench in the head with the hook pointed up. You can then thread the wing nut onto the wrench to get it started on the stud. Still not easy.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Bill,

Not sure I follow you.
You're saying you replaced the existing Studs with a stud that has an Allen head on the end of it?
If so, that must be a tiny tiny Allen head. If I understand correctly - the wing nut slides over the allen wrench?

I don't use the wing nuts - lost them all. I'm now using small hex nuts (many as I drop a few each time).
I'm thinking if I put my little hex nut in a socket, it might be easier to hold and turn down in there.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes, the allen wrench is tiny and fits into the end of the stud. The wing nut then slides over the allen wrench and threads onto the stud since the stud has no head. I may have even tried to solder a piece of safety wire to the end of the wrench to make it easier to thread on the nut. I seem to remember that I got the parts from Fischer Panda in Ft. Lauderdale. It's worth a call to them.

Reactions: HMBJack

HMBJack

Reaction score
For what it's worth - I just got off the phone with the Parts Manager at FP in Florida.

He was not aware of any such replacement stud with a small Allen head fitting on the end.

For me (and others I guess), the only real problematic stud is the very bottom one. The other three are okay to access but the bottom one is only reachable, and barely, by the very tip of my fingers and I always lose a nut or two as I try to re-install it down there.

From fear of damaging it - I wish not to remove my existing stud to search for this tiny Allen head stud.
So, if anyone has insight as to how to get one of these Allen headed studs, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Last edited:

HMBJack

Reaction score
Thank you so much Bill for taking the time to post all of this information!

That is exactly what I need. I'll get those studs for sure!

Reactions: wspitler