Water pump service

jimdufresne

Reaction score
Just getting set up for spring, my marina recommends serviceing water pump & replacing the thermostat every 2 years .... any comments ??

I have twin Yamaha 200 HPDI on a 28GW 2001

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Every 2 years for water pumps and T-stats sounds about right. I would also make sure you are using 10 micron water separators and keep up service on your VST tanks.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Water Pump Repair

Maybe this isn't the exact answer to your question, but wth. The pumps are pretty easy to do. Also fairly hard to screw up the job unless you end up cross-threading some of the bolts that mount the lower unit. A few recommendations if you do yourself:

Use non-hardening Perma-Tex around the pump housing;

Have another guy standing by to help hold the lower unit in place while you bolt it in;

Call Andy at Shipyard, he will know all the associated parts to replace when you ask for a "pump";

Use a good waterproof marine lube on the edges of the impeller.

Use a torque wrench to reinstall the mounting bolts.

If the boat is out of the water, should take you about 2 hours for each engine.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Someone posted a good tip for doing a water pump job: use soap not grease when you assemble it. If you twist the impeller the wrong way when you put the cover on, it will correct itself (the shaft rotates the same way for normal and counter rotation motors).

Don't forget the bolt under the anode! If the lower unit doesn't fall down with a little shake, don't force it.

The hardest part is getting the shift shafts to line up when you put it back together.

Check/clean the poppet valve. It that messes up you're still dead in the water.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lining up the Shaft

It's pretty easy to line everything up if you leave the gears in reverse PRIOR removing the lower unit. The poppet valve is not hard if you have long thin fingers. Andy at SIM can tell you all the related parts u need for the poppet valve job. My engine was shutting down to very low rpms, I replaced the valve, good as new.