Waterproofing electrics under stern seats (GW 208)

antaris

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am replacing the battery select switch and main electric "arteries" on my new-old 208. Also adding a Blue Sea Systems SI-Series Automatic Charging Relay and maxi fuses...

The switch is currently mounted on the inside of transom, under the starboard seat. I cannot seem to find a better place, so replacement parts are also going there...

Here are my questions:

1. water gets all over the switch and batteries when bow lifts up and there's water on the seat. What can I do about this? Thought of sealing the seat, unraveling a fire-proof fabric over the electrics and more. no decent solution, though. Even considered adding a plastic box to fit all electric stuff in there...too tight

2. Is it ok to drill stuff on the inside of the transom? Feels a bit lame - rotting transom fear and all... any other solutions implemented? Anyone used a starfoam mounting surface (surely that is not the right name, you know the material I mean!). Mind you, this will make the water issue worse, since all mounted stuff will move fwd...

Any ideas are welcome...Ah, boat stays in the water year-round, so there's the rain, too...

Sorry to babble on...

DUUUUUG

Reaction score
Since I have a 209, I will probably have the same issue.
Going out on a limb here, but you know that odd shaped board under the stern seat cushion that fits kind of loose to cover the opening to the battery area.
Is it possible to attached a rubber gasket all the way around the edge? The gasket should give you a good tight fit, maybe not water-tight, but tight enough.
I would choose a non-obsorbing solid rubber gasket.

antaris

Reaction score
Yeap, I just noticed that 209 owners will have the same issue! Rubber gasket... these things need pressure to work...

seasick

Reaction score
It's OK to drill the transom. Make sure you fill the holes with some 5200 before you insert the screws (which should also have their threads coated with 5200).
My 208 rear lockers can get a bit wet if I hose them off but in general, the sea water doesn't run into the compartment. Perhaps the 209 is different than the 208. The 208 ( 2001) has channels that trap the water and it drains forward onto the deck as long as the boat is level. If the aft is slanted down, the water puddles and if there is enough, it will run over the lip into the bilge(and battery/oil tank) compartment.
The 2001 doesn't take those drop in storage trays. perhaps the lip has been modified.
I have often though about adding a drain tube to the channel. I would need to drill a hole in the channel in the back side, insert a through fitting and add a hose that drains into the bottom of the bilge. It's just one of those ideas that probably won't ever get done.