Wax

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I used Collinite fleet Wax and it is looking bad. It appears that black dirt has settled into the wax and it will not wash off. It can only be cleaned by stripping the wax and reapplying. Black streaks down the sides from the windshield look bad and they will not wash off. I am thinking about changing wax brands. Besides that, the Collinite is difficult to apply as well. Anyone else have this issue? Maybe it is environmental in my location.

seasick

Reaction score
In my neck of the woods (NYC area) we get black streaks from all the crap in the air. If they are not too bad, an application of Garry's wax takes them off. If left for a long time or really dark, I find that I need to use a black streak remover spray. It works well but you should wax after using it.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I stopped using Collinites wax years ago. I switched to Meguires 3-step when I still had my previous Sailfish, and the results were far better than Collinites in depth of shine.

My neighbor used Rejex on one of his boats, and it looked good. I bought some, and tried it last year. The shine and water-beading held up even as I went to wash and wax her this past Spring. So I used it again. Stuff seems to work very nicely.

Bill_N

Reaction score
Try Tuff Enuff to get black streaks off. If they weren't there when you waxed the boat, its not in the wax.

VinMan

Reaction score
Is it OK to use those "Magic Erasers" on gel coat. I know they are mildly abrasive but it is the only thing that will take the ash residue out of the non skid. We get wild fires in Fla and the black ash does a number on the non skid.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Try putting a resin sealer on first. I found one at a detail supply called TERMINATOR, for marine and aviation use, sets up hard and you wax over it. Another step in the buff process, but it lasts and lasts.

www.topofthelinedetail.com has it.

You also have to get all the oxidized gel coat off first. I use 3M Imperial finishing compound for that with a wool wheel.

JiminGA

Reaction score
Collinite products are great - you do need to use the 920 cleaner first followed by the wax. Personally I use the liquid 925 wax and get excellent results. I just finished a rewax of everything about a month ago and the boat STILL is mistaken by many to be brand new.

Here is a thread on this subject from the past. You can scroll down and see my post and pictures - btw the boat STILL looks like this! :D

http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtop ... 03&start=0

dadsgirl

Reaction score
Our 1988 228g was starting to look a little rough due to previous owner neglect. We have owned this boat for about six years years now and a seasonal waxing never seemed to make much difference. This year we did the entire boat with 3M marine restorer & wax p/n 09005, and followed up with one coat of Maguires liquid wax. I think we made the boat look ten years newer. It looked so good we even put new decals on her.