Weird mold/other on dash - adventure 208

DulyNoted

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Opened up my 208 today to get ready for the season and this is something that I struggle with every year. There is this horrible mold or discoloration on that pinkish material at the helm of my adventure 208. I can scrub and it gets a little better, but never perfect. Same material is around the shelves at captains chairs too.

Anyone ever come across this and fine a good way to take care of it?

TIA

Attachments

• 5F1D581F-0ED1-4CA5-9129-29EA36C946ED.jpeg
    5F1D581F-0ED1-4CA5-9129-29EA36C946ED.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 878F0EAF-95D9-4926-9498-31DD0F05D7E8.jpeg
    878F0EAF-95D9-4926-9498-31DD0F05D7E8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • DBE80745-8482-4B0D-B6E7-3F198A2A3672.jpeg
    DBE80745-8482-4B0D-B6E7-3F198A2A3672.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've had good luck with zep mold and mildew remover (blue gallon jugs and spray bottles at HD).

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Mix up a solution of Water:Bleach at about 5:1 and spray it on, or saturate a white rag with it and lay it on. Give it a few minutes and rinse. If that doesn't take care of it, the mold is growing from underneath the top layer and there's not a whole lot you can do. You could try spraying it with a vinyl spray paint, though - SEM, for example.

seasick

Reaction score
I also like the zep. Make sure to rinse it well and watch your clothes.
Based on what I can tell from the photo, you may have an issue where the gel coat is worn away exposing the fiberglass. The porous fiberglass absorbs moisture and encourages mold growth. Try the treatment and then give a good waxing. See what happens in the future.

steveditt

Reaction score
I have a 98 208 mine were in poor condition when I purchased the boat five years ago , I removed the dash and side panel took then to an auto body paint shop and had them painted close to the Grady White new style dash off white ,the dash gets dirty not sure if a few coats of clear would have helped with this the side panels no problem . Overall they still look good and in my opinion look better then brown . Might be something to consider when you have time if all the screws come out its a breezy but , found white matching screws caps to ,if your interested I have pictures send me your email ,via message . Steve

seasick

Reaction score
Mine is definitely not soft. It looks like it is gel coated.

DulyNoted

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I've had good luck with zep mold and mildew remover (blue gallon jugs and spray bottles at HD).

I took a look at this at HD. It specifically says not to use it on vinyl and I am pretty sure that salmon pink dash is vinyl. Do you have the same material?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've used regular old bleach (usually diluted like I mentioned) on vinyl seats too many time to remember. I'd give that a shot - but start in an inconspicuous spot just to be sure, in case that particular vinyl is somehow different. Do the rag method - hold it on there for 3-5 minutes. If that doesn't work, no over the counter formula is going to do any better. Your next step would be spray painting it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
There is the potential that the fungus is coming from the back side as stated earlier in this thread. My 2002 Sailfish had a bad lot of vinyl bolsters and I got pink blotches on them. You couldn't get rid of the fungus. I ended up replacing all of the bolsters. If it is from the backside, you pretty much can't get at it.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Clorox clean up....spray sparingly...rinse well.

I get it too...it cleans right up.

Greyduk

Reaction score
I tried CLR Mold and mildew stain remover on my rear seat cushion that had mold stains from being covered. It made a slight improvement. Then I used Starbrite Mold Stain Remover and it made the seat look like new again. It doesn't have bleach and can be used on vinyl. All you do is spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse. I couldn't believe what a difference it made.GW Rear Jump Seat.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
There was an article recently in either Boat US or Boating magazine about a new treatment for that pink mold staining. There is a company that has a new methods of treatment. They also sell a DIY kit but it takes time (several days if I remember correctly) and it is expensive costing about $50 for enough to repair about 4 square inches.!

In general, the pink mold is just about impossible to get rid of and even if you manage to clear most of the tinge, it will return

bricecasebeer

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 98 208 mine were in poor condition when I purchased the boat five years ago , I removed the dash and side panel took then to an auto body paint shop and had them painted close to the Grady White new style dash off white ,the dash gets dirty not sure if a few coats of clear would have helped with this the side panels no problem . Overall they still look good and in my opinion look better then brown . Might be something to consider when you have time if all the screws come out its a breezy but , found white matching screws caps to ,if your interested I have pictures send me your email ,via message . Steve

Hey Steve,

Do you know what type of paint they used?

-Brice