welding hardtop support

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Looks like I have a second weld in my hardtop support tubing that is breaking. The first came with the boat, the second seems to have started recently. Not sure how this should be handled. Steel no prob, I would repair it myself, aluminum not so fast. Looking for advice.
thanks

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Find a good welding shop that can weld aluminum. I've had mine done, just be aware there are wires for spreader lights running in the tubes depending on which area you're welding in. So far I've had no issues with the wires in my tubes and weld being done.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have heard stories of frying electronics from welding current. Is that a real problem?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
If you don't fix it you will get cracks everywhere.
You absolutely cant have wires in your frame.
Years ago on my 20 footer I had it fixed on the boat. I pulled the cables and left a single wire for pulling them back later. That wire got welded to the frame....

On my 265 I removed the hardtop and brought the frame to a welder

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have heard stories of frying electronics from welding current. Is that a real problem?
It can be a real problem on autos, maybe not so much on fiberglass boats, but I would disconnect everything from the batteries, and all plugs from electronics. You never know where a ground may end up.

Reactions: PointedRose

Fishtales

Reaction score
Look for a local T-Top provider. They usually can do it and have the mobility most desire.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Spoke to welder/fabricator (beautiful shop) very near by. I have to bring boat to him, his welding truck must be near the job and so cannot do on my lift. Started pulling wires, at least 2/3 mostly old coax were useless and good riddance. Going to try and wait for my 200 hr service when I would pull boat anyway. I hate to trailer the boat any more than I have to

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Haven't seen pix so dunno the extent and location of the cracking. Sometimes just welding over the crack is just going to make it crack somewhere else.
Just consider replacing some pipe and/or adding plates, if necessary.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
we talked about that at the shop

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm sure he will look the whole thing over and make sure the welds are in good shape.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
I’ve already welded some major cracks years ago, and recently had another minor crack develop on a hardtop support.
Ended up buying a couple of these and clamped one down tight on the cracked portside pipe, and put another one on an uncracked stbdside pipe just to make it match visually.

Consider these if your cracks are not serious structurally…

1711556987640.png

Gulffisher

Reaction score
I had pipe weld cracks early in the life of my 2005-06 330. These were welded by my marina owner (front support pipes so no wires) and no cracks since. I did tighten the loose support/mounting flange fasteners, which I suspect to have been the cause for initial cracking.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
i went through all support mounts to be sure were tight