What are Greenwood Transoms and Why They Don't Rot

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Until recently switching to composite, GW had been using Greenwood XL in place of marine plywood since the late 90's. There have been fewer reports of rotted transoms since then. Here is an interesting post from THT where a builder describes what Greenwood is:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boatin...-whites-view-greenwood-forestry-products.html

Greenwood Forest Products made Greenwood XL Panel for the marine industry from approximately 1994 through 2014. Less and less boatbuilders using plywood as reinforcement in transoms and stringers led them to discontinue selling the product in 2014 or so. They sold the rights to one of their distributors who planned to continue with the product, presumably having it private label manufactured for them by Greenwood. Whether that continued or actually happened I do not know, but that is why if you try to look it up on their website, you won't find any info about it. Greenwood offered a limited lifetime warranty against any kind of rot fungal decay or delamination of the plywood itself-not delamination from fiberglass/resin bonded to the greenwood xl product. I personally used the product from 1995 through 2010 and never once had a claim against their product in roughly 2000 boats built over that period. We used it for all transoms, stringers deck reinforcements, core reinforcement, bulkheads, etc. I continued to use it for a couple of years until it changed hands because the price shot up 30%. At that time, I switched to the only competitor they had, which was Aqua Ply. Same basic product, same lifetime warranty, more options for higher grade panels-pre sanded panels, etc.

I still today use and sell the Aqua Ply product in my shop. Both Greenwood and Aqua Ply are whats called a CCA treated wood. You probably heard of it years back when there were a bunch of studies about outside playground units made from similarly treated wood that had to be removed. Reason being is that the "A" in CCA stands for Arsenic, which can be absorbed through the skin. CCA products were banned for exposed surface use, but can still be used for non exposed applications such as when they are encapsulated with fiberglass/resin in boats/marine applications. The reason it was used in boats in the first place is that normal treated plywood (which uses creosote or some other petroleum based treatment) does not work with polyester/vinylester resins, or typical contact adhesives used for carpet installs such as non molded floors on small runabouts or on most pontoon boats. The resin may initially bond, but it will easily delaminate the first time any kind of moisture gets to it, or even just due to vibration/impacts. Greenwood and Aqua-ply both are the upper end of the plywood spectrum. There are basically 4 levels-regular plywood which even if encapsulated is not a good idea for boats as it will rot/delaminate when it absorbs water. Marine grade plywood, which is better because it uses waterproof glue to hold the panels together so it will not delaminate just from water absorption, it also cannot have any voids in the plys if it is designated "marine grade". Treated plywood, which is again a bad choice for reasons already stated. Then you have marine grade treated, which is what Greenwood/Aqua Ply are. It is "marine grade" that is then CCA treated so it will not rot.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
GW started using this in transoms in 97 and then replaced stringers with this in 98. What I haven't been able to determine is if it was used as coring for floors, deck lids, etc. Apparently balsa was still used after 98 for coring material on side walls and likely other area, but I dont know what boats used this material.

Fishtales

Reaction score
they may not rot but im sure they get soft if soaking in water. they will delaminate the fiberglass once they freeze.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
they may not rot but im sure they get soft if soaking in water. they will delaminate the fiberglass once they freeze.
Does it absorb water? Based on the builders experience and description, it performs a heck of lot better than anything available prior. If it doesn't absorb water, it wont delaminate. I have heard of a few Greenwood boats delamination, but nothing like the boats that were standard marine ply. I also wondered if what was reported as delamination had more to the story.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Yes, Greenwood ply absorbs water. Does this condition cause significant weakness in the transom? I don't know. But, in general, I think not or we all would know this by now. I sort of view it like a pressure treated 4X4 you put in the ground. Sure it gets wet - it has to! But how many of them do you see breaking at the ground level?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It can get wet if it isn't fully encapsulated. But it won't rot and get soft. That's the point of the arsenic treatment. It kills any mold that tries to grow in the wet wood.

Reactions: HMBJack

Fishtales

Reaction score
yea, It absorbs water, just doesn't rot due to the chemicals. Won't turn to mush. Better than marine plywood I guess.

Reactions: HMBJack