What battery do you all like?

seasick

Reaction score
On MyOtherBoat that has Optis, the manual specifically warns not to use combo or deep cycle batteries. I don't know what Yamaha has to say about 250s but I would just check. FYI, Optis are really picky about voltage and draw a pretty heavy load when cranking. Specs for 150 Optis call for 1000MCA, 800CCA. Even with those batteries, there are times when starting the motors cold, they will not fire up unless I switch batteries to BOTH. That will crank over OK, they just won't fire. Merc says the ECU is picky about cranking voltage and if it doesn't see a certain voltage, it won't command the injectors to fire.
In any case, combos or deeps may not satisfy the Optis voltage and current needs for starting.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
just ordered 3 batteries. Got a hell of a deal. I purchased three of these:

AutoCraft Marine Battery, Group Size 27M, 800 CCA

After I trade in the bad ones, and get the rebate, I ended up paying like $76 each lol.

182 Reserve
800 CCA / 1000 MCA
Group 27M
56-ish lbs.

I have to drive to three places to pick them up as no-one had more than one, lol.. but eh.. I will have them tonight.

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ooohh, I actually got 3 DieHard 800 CCA batteries for that price...Boom!;)

2-hrs of driving, but worth it;)

R

Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Life has it's moments~

Score!!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Lol yep. One is the off brand but hey, they should do well and for 25 percent off plus a rebate...I’ll take that. They are not Deka....but eh, new and solid.

Waiting for it to cool down a bit, 95deg outside so will hook them all up later and then fire the engines up.

Wife and kids are out of town for a week so time to get the boat ready and then pull the tractor out and do some shredding and work on her car.

Fun times....but now, daddy thinks he earned a nap lol:p

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Exactly. Actually, first night no wife or kids here so hanging with the dogs watching tv.

Plan to hit it up tomorrow.

Reactions: Bloodweiser

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you get 5-years out of a battery consider them junk and replace them. You can stagger them so you you don't get hit all in one year. Batteries fail prematurely from bad/old chargers boiling the water off and the owner not checking the levels because its a PITA or filling with tap water because they don't have distilled water handy.

I'm moving to all Duracell AGM's from Sam's club. I have a Group 27 for the house and a Group 34 for bow thruster, bait well pump and 12-volt DC outlets. Going replace starting batteries with Group 34's this summer.

Promariner marine smart charger in place of the old style charger. Only problem I have had with the Promariner chargers is the crap inline fuse holders they install. They overheat and fail under full load to the house bank. Cut them off and replace with waterproof blade type ATC fuse holder.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Totally understand that. I have to go through all the steps before I waste money buying a new/larger charger. Right now, these new fancy chargers keep faulting on them. I have an old one that is pumping out a trickle charge to one while I spend the evening deciding to spend money on a high end charger or say to hell with it and buy three batteries...well, one now and two next month. I do not mind it, typical with this damn boat...but Two have dates of 2014 on them, the third no date...they outlived their usefulness imo....just one more reason to blow the summer fishing season.

So, leaning towards 3 new batteries.
Do yourself a favor and replace the battery charger before feeding three new batteries to it. About $200 for three bank Promariner (replace fuse holders when you install it).

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I am not replacing a charger that works fine. I also am not going to spend $200 just because the old batteries went dead. They were from 2014. It was their time. I replaced all 3 batteries and they are working fine as well. I am lucky they lasted this long. I think I am spending enough as it is. I will, however, add it to the list of things that may need upgrading sometime, when I add a 4th battery.

Thanks

R

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I am not replacing a charger that works fine. I also am not going to spend $200 just because the old batteries went dead. They were from 2014. It was their time. I replaced all 3 batteries and they are working fine as well. I am lucky they lasted this long. I think I am spending enough as it is. I will, however, add it to the list of things that may need upgrading sometime, when I add a 4th battery.

Thanks

R

So how did that work out?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
They are working very well. That said, there is no way the original charger would suffice if I add another battery so I added a new charger to the “list”.
This one works, no problems with the charger, but as I upgrade and replace things, this won’t be left behind heh.

R

Fishtales

Reaction score
As others have said, the auto parts stores will load test them.

I don’t know whether you have 24s or 27s, but the Duracell branded batteries at Sams are made by Deka. Their stuff is high quality. You can also find them at Batteries and Bulbs, and West Marine’s batteries are Deka as well.

Nothing was disconnected, was it?

I agree that Duracells are nice. Deka makes a lot of batteries these days that are rebranded. I got the Duracells at a Battery and Bulbs store sale last year.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I agree that Duracells are nice. Deka makes a lot of batteries these days that are rebranded. I got the Duracells at a Battery and Bulbs store sale last year.

I get the Duracells at Sam's Club. Made by Pennsylvania Manufacturing. Best price but you need to be a member. Just bought 2 more this weekend. Now all 4 are Duracell AGM's.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I get the Duracells at Sam's Club. Made by Pennsylvania Manufacturing. Best price but you need to be a member. Just bought 2 more this weekend. Now all 4 are Duracell AGM's.
"East Penn" manufacturing, not "PA" :) AKA: Deka. I always use Deka and we have used Deka at the store for many decades - definitely top notch. I have a friend who is a plant manager at East Penn and he once verified that the Duracell brand is exactly the same - I asked because sometimes companies make things differently to meet a certain price point for some "re-branding" companies. Funny thing is, I can buy the actual Deka branded battery for cheaper than the Duracells.

The only other battey I would consider is Interstate.

Reactions: wspitler

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
I don't have a major brand preference but I'm a big fan of dual purpose AGM. They weigh and cost more but for me they last twice as long as lead acid and no issues with maintaining water levels or explosive fumes.

Fishtales

Reaction score
GW recommends starting batteries FWIW.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Russ

it’s probably a cranking battery. Look for cold cranking amp CCA rating and go to Walmart , sams club or Costco and get one.
This ^^
Then keep s battery tender on it when your not using the boat.
I got 9 years out of my last pair that way.