What do you think its worth

ocdansar

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a 1982 G/W 190 dual console with a 150 mercury out board of the same era on a owens and son alumnium slide on tandem axle trailer. The boat just had a new transom installed by a competent fiberglass shop, the trailer is good no brakes on it and could use new tires ,He has a good custom cover for the boat that was made in the mid 80's for this boat fair condition, it has a bimini top that is fair at best and the electronics are dated at best, has an old sitex loran c and vhf would need to be replaced. This boat has not been used much at all in the last 10 years and he has owned it since 1986 I went with him when he bought the boat in 86. The motor has good compression but would be my biggest concern on the boat. The hull is in excellent condition has been stored outside but under the cover that covered the whole boat. I know its tough to value without pics and a good visual, I'am trying to buy the boat as he is ready to sell he is in his 70's has been a long time friend I don't want to insult him and I really don't want to overpay by to much. Sorry for the long post but what do you guys think its worth ? Thanks for input

ocdansar

Reaction score
Wow I'm surprised no one has an opinion. Here's an update I was wrong on the year the boat is a 1984 I'm going to look at it this afternoon and e is asking 4500. I'll let you know what happens.

seasick

Reaction score
ocdansar said:
Wow I'm surprised no one has an opinion. Here's an update I was wrong on the year the boat is a 1984 I'm going to look at it this afternoon and e is asking 4500. I'll let you know what happens.
I would be surprise if he gets half that amount but you never know.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Basically no electronics, old gas, trailer needs work, old canvas,... if he wants it gone $1000, $1500 tops. Buying anything from a friend can be a mistake. You're basically buying a hull with a new transom but the stringers may be shot, gas tank may wind up with a leak (after you get the old gas out), the motor may work for a while or may die in a week, and the list goes on and on. You may buy it for $1000 and dump in $5K to get it going.

ocdansar

Reaction score
yes it is an old boat but it has been properly maintained, my brother is a certified yamaha tech and has taken care of the boat since my friend has had it, the boat is water ready the fuel has always been stabilized and drained after each use when I say the boat hasn't been used, it hasn't been used with any regularity he said in the last five years. Yeah I know it's a money pit but tell me what boat isn't. I just sold my 330 express and that boat cost quite a bit in yearly maintance. The trailer under this boat is also well kept and road ready it's alumnium and mostly fresh water use.As far as electronics go what do you need? I have a brand new vhf I will install and I figure a small gps depth finder combo unit. Yeah I may have to repower at some point but with my brother in the business that won't be an issue. I have been looking for months and in the 5k and under there is noithing out there that isnt junk. any way thanks for the opinions and you guys are probably right the boat isn't worth it but I will probably buy it any way as I'm tired of looking. We take it to the lake tonight