what is a good price for engines

bc282

Reaction score
are you in need of controls, gauges, switches, harnesses, etc or just engines?

if you are re-powering and keeping most of original (recommend changing cables as these do wear out and new ones will feel like silk compared to old cables) and only are looking for engines, there are a lot of good deals out there.

For the pair mentioned (just engines) i wouldn't pay over 10k

Might be too much, but on THT there's a pair of 2005 275 verados for 12.5k!

Tunacious D

Reaction score
Having been through the used motor market myself a year ago, I never could find a decent reference for prices on used engines. Condition is going to play the deciding factor on how much you are willing to pay. You need to have them checked out by a Yamaha Mechanic including compression, leakdown, etc. and plan on going through them to replace fluids, water pumps, filters, plugs, etc. See if you can get this thrown in during purchase and then you have a basis for deciding how much. Also, a download of the engines CPU will allow you to review operating conditions (I believe) and look for potential problems. You will be able to verify the hrs on the blocks at that point as well.

Most importantly, if you are shopping for your Kingfish(er), and it is the 25 ft hull with a bracket or transom notch, these engines (IMO) will be too heavy and too wide to mount.

jnkfarrow

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tunacious D said:
Having been through the used motor market myself a year ago, I never could find a decent reference for prices on used engines. Condition is going to play the deciding factor on how much you are willing to pay. You need to have them checked out by a Yamaha Mechanic including compression, leakdown, etc. and plan on going through them to replace fluids, water pumps, filters, plugs, etc. See if you can get this thrown in during purchase and then you have a basis for deciding how much. Also, a download of the engines CPU will allow you to review operating conditions (I believe) and look for potential problems. You will be able to verify the hrs on the blocks at that point as well.

Most importantly, if you are shopping for your Kingfish(er), and it is the 25 ft hull with a bracket or transom notch, these engines (IMO) will be too heavy and too wide to mount.

We already contacted grady white and they said do not go anymore than 225 4 strokes. My transom is completly redone along with the stringers it is pretty much a new boat,and we are getting a hermco bracket which is fiberglasss so it floats itself so the weight of the bracket is not an issue, thank you for your advice tho. I just found a pair of 2002 200hp 4 strokes around 800 hrs each for 6500 each with full service before we get them but they don't come with anything so it seem high to me I just wanted to see how everyone else thought

jnkfarrow

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
bc282 said:
are you in need of controls, gauges, switches, harnesses, etc or just engines?

if you are re-powering and keeping most of original (recommend changing cables as these do wear out and new ones will feel like silk compared to old cables) and only are looking for engines, there are a lot of good deals out there.

For the pair mentioned (just engines) i wouldn't pay over 10k

Might be too much, but on THT there's a pair of 2005 275 verados for 12.5k!
I need everything, but 275 hp is to much I am not going to go over 225 thank you tho

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What about a pair of 200 HPDIs? Might be a better fit, given the age of the boat.