What is everyones thoughts on this Grady 208 adventure?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd put it in the "good deal" category....

Generally 98-99s with 200 ox66's go in the high teens to low 20s, depending on condition, electronics and trailer. You are getting the exact same boat (1997 was the first year of the redesign) and newer 4 stroke power, so you should be in good shape.

Trim tabs can be added....the parts run about $450 or so and it takes a half day to install them.

Are you shipping the boat in a cradle, or planning to buy an AU-spec trailer in the USA?

Captnobs

Reaction score
I second the "good deal" category as long as you can have the boat test driven and the motor inspected. Although the 98-99s with 200 ox66's are listed in the high teens to low 20s, they are not selling.

Mullins

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'm shipping this one on a trailer so will be getting an EZ loader as the price is ALOT better than the load rite one I've been given.

Ive shipped 4 other boats 2 each time in a 40' And it's just to much work this side having to reassemble everything hang motors again organise lifts in the yards etc whilst probably cheaper per boat it's just to frustrating and time consuming. Looking forward to the 208 I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'm putting a $1650 custom arch on her with rod holders, wakeboard racks and ski mount.

The age of the hull being 15 years old doesn't concern me Aslong as its good condition. I'm having the hours pulled, compression test done oil analysis, survey and sea trial next week before settling.

Is there anything I should look for with an older boat other than moisture in the transom, spider cracks in the gelcoat, wiring and the condition of the fuel tank?

jellyfish

Reaction score
Its a good deal. I would buy it in a second if that boat was on the west coast. Take it and run. Congrats! :goodjob

Greatty

Reaction score
Ugh, wished Id seen this! :bang Good deal and good luck and let me know if you don't do it!!

seasick

Reaction score
Parthery said:
I'd put it in the "good deal" category....

Generally 98-99s with 200 ox66's go in the high teens to low 20s, depending on condition, electronics and trailer. You are getting the exact same boat (1997 was the first year of the redesign) and newer 4 stroke power, so you should be in good shape.

Trim tabs can be added....the parts run about $450 or so and it takes a half day to install them.

Are you shipping the boat in a cradle, or planning to buy an AU-spec trailer in the USA?
Later model 208s have a bit more weight up front to compensate for the heavier 4 strokes.
That motor will add weight to the stern and as a result the scuppers may ride below the water line.
Those years also can be prone to wet transoms. Only a good surveyor and a moisture test will identify water issues. The hours aren't an issue in themselves. How did you determine the engine hours? I don't give credence to any hour reading unless it was dumped from the ECU.
High hours or low hours or in between don't mater nearly as much as how the boat and motor was maintained or abused.

I also always get a chuckle out of a post that says they bought a boat, was it a good deal. Asking first would be better:)
I also see that you have posted only twice. Have you done your research?

Good luck

Mullins

Reaction score
First of all if you read the post correctly I have not bought the boat already I have put a $500 deposit down on it, happy to walk away $500 down than buy a boat that has problems. Yes I have only posted twice as I did my research on the hull truth. I would say that considering I've decided that I want a Grady 208 instead of a newer model sea fox, trophy etc that I have done some research... The hours were pulled from the ECU any clown can have a gauge showing low hours.. My next concern is that the skuppers are plastic and not stainless steel. Being such an old boat I'm worried they could have cracked and let water in. Buying a boat from another country is not that easy as you could imagine so why you think I havent done any research is quite surprising.

Reactions: Eastern HighReach

seasick

Reaction score
Mullins said:
First of all if you read the post correctly I have not bought the boat already I have put a $500 deposit down on it, happy to walk away $500 down than buy a boat that has problems. Yes I have only posted twice as I did my research on the hull truth. I would say that considering I've decided that I want a Grady 208 instead of a newer model sea fox, trophy etc that I have done some research... The hours were pulled from the ECU any clown can have a gauge showing low hours.. My next concern is that the skuppers are plastic and not stainless steel. Being such an old boat I'm worried they could have cracked and let water in. Buying a boat from another country is not that easy as you could imagine so why you think I havent done any research is quite surprising.

Sorry if I offended you, my intent was to give my impressions based on what I read. You apparently have done more work that the original post would suggest.
Were you present for the ECU dump?
Stainless is not recommended for below water applications. Bronze or chromed bronze is more appropriate.
There is nothing wrong with plastic scuppers as long as they are in good shape and they can be replaced(with a bit of work). The scupper hoses can be more of an issue and note that the deck end of the scupper is also plastic and its shape is molded to match the deck recess so options for replacement are limited. If that fitting goes bad and the scuppers are under water, you can still get water in the bilge.

I got the impression that you have not seen the boat in person. If so, where will the survey be done and will you be there for it? I am unclear how that will work if the vessel is in a different country. If the seller wants full payment prior to shipping and says that you can always back out, I would advise you not to go that route.
Good luck

Mullins

Reaction score
Unfortunately I cannot view the vessel in person which makes it very difficult trying to purchase! I would fly over but its hard for me to get off work this time of year. I end up putting ALOT Of faith in the surveyor. Either way the risk is worth it considering boats in Australia are three times the price. I could buy this one here in Perth that I could go right over and check it out in person

http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for ... urer/78956

BUT for the $52,000 price tag versus $18,500 if I buy in the states you can see why it's worth buying boats sight unseen! This is the fifth boat i'll be purchasing sight unseen and it's been ok for now touch wood.. I'll have this one her for under $35k so $17k in savings, mind you an older hull but newer outboard with bugger all hrs. Thanks for the heads up on the skuppers I've asked the surveyor to pay particular attention to the condition of them.

Cheers

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The boat is in Raleigh....anyone here willing to help this gentleman out and go take a look?

I'm 5 hours away and will be in Raleigh on business the week after next...so if you don't mind waiting two weeks, I'm happy to go look at it, take some more pics, and give you a general idea of what I see....

Mullins

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the offer Parthery, very generous of you! I'm glad I joined this group, you've all been very helpful and welcoming! My girlfriends sister lives in Durham so I'm going to have her husband check it out as well, he just doesn't know to much about boats. You're all clearly passionate Grady owners and I believe once I join the club I'll be a grady ambassador down under. Just another reason I love dealing with Americans all 5 gentlemen I've purchased boats privately from have been honest, patient and very helpful. Guess that's why I stole a girl and imported her to Aus as well :mrgreen:

wrxhoon

Reaction score
If the boat is in good nick the price is good, A little risky buying a boat private from AU. I would feel much safer buying from a dealer. What if you pay and he doesn't hand over the boat? takes the $ and moves away? Things you have to consider.

I bought a Seafarer 228 recently private sale I got the owner to sell it through a dealer and I paid extra for that. All went good , had a new trailer made by Ace trailers and shipped it to Port Kembla ( I live in Sydney). I had a mate inspect the boat for me as I couldn't fly over at the time and paid a pro to report . This was a fresh water boat from a lake in Georgia , old boat 1999 with a ox 66 250 and I re powered with a 250 Optimax as soon as I got her , then sold the Yammie here for good money.
This is my 4th US built boat ( 3 Trophies before that) and my first GW , great boat , glad I bought a GW this time, Trophies just don't compare .

With an old boat you have to make sure the transom is dry, all the trim not stuffed , make sure the boat never lived in the water, the hydraulic steering still ok and of course the engine. Make sure the fuel tank is still ok because its very hard to replace, if the boat was always on a trailer it should be fine , they are painted alloy and should last a long time, mine is still like new.
Mine didn't have any electronics to speak ( most US boats don't) she had a new VHF, a new cd , old basic sounder and thats about it

Like seasick said you don't want S/S through hulls bellow water level , mine has bronze, a lot of the S/S you see are plastic with a s/s cover. Very easy to replace and plastic are very cheap, mine didn't have tabs either so I bought a set of Lancos , I prefer them to Bennets as you don't have hydraulics to worry about .

Good luck with it, another GW down under , not many in AU because they are expensive!!

jellyfish

Reaction score
I had a 1997 Grady White 208 with a Yamaha F200 on the back and it was a awesome boat and an awesome ride. The boat was a little rough as it was fished hard, but overall a great boat. Yes the scuppers were a little underwater but the boat still rode very well and I fished her offshore. I had no trim tabs and she still rode fine.

You can add some weight to the front of the boat of you wish and add trim tabs as well. You will love this boat. Have a few people take a look at her and have them take a test ride BEFORE you buy her.

Then if she checks out make the deal. Its a steal of a deal it everything checks out.

You aussies crack me up. Coming over to the USA and taken our women and stealing our boats!! :mrgreen:

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As a fellow 208 owner, I will be more than glad to go check this boat out for you. I will be in the area this Saturday. I am not a professional surveyor but have had my 208 since 2004 so I know it pretty well. I sent you a PM with details.

Mullins

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Well I bought the boat, the only real issue I had was the ECU read 221hrs instead of 139 as per the gauge. I've had the boat delivered to Modlins Welding in FarmVille and hes making a custom arch for me. It's certainly different to what most put on so I'll be sure to photos up. It's kind of a cross between an arch and the more stylish curved wakeboard towers. Im having Keith put brackets in it so it can fold backwards into the boat for shipping, towing and storage purposes. Can't wait to see what it looks like!