What Size Bolts to use on Mounting a Bow Pulpit?

Roadworker

Reaction score
I am mounting a Bow pulpit on a 22 Grady, was wondering if anyone could tell me best size bolt to use on this project?

Thanks

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just replaced mine but I didn't measure the bolts. I could make a good guess though. They were slottet, round head, 3/8 Diameter.
The two most forward bolts were about 4 inches in length and the aft two were 3 1/2 inches long. I didn't actually measure them so maybe get the longest ones possible and check the length and cut them. Of course use nylon lock nuts and washers.

gerrys

Reaction score
Be sure to use fender washers or, better yet, fabricate a backing plate to distribute the stress.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'll measure the ones off my Sailfish when I get home.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was thinking 1/2 or 5/8 inch round head slotted . Lets see what Grog finds vs. my memory.
I had them out about 5 years ago.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
3/8" x 4" ss slotted round head (flattened pan head). The fender washer for underneath is 1 3/4" x 1/8" thick (4 of them).

Don't go any less than a 3/8" bolt with a head that is wide enough to distribute the stress and not trip you, beefy fender washers underneath, and sealant (3M 4000UV).

Roadworker

Reaction score
OK thanks Guys

Do any of you have a plate inside robe cabing to re-inforce fiberglass?

And if so can you use a thick piece of plywood?

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you use wood, you are adding to the length of the bolt which wouldn't necessarily be a good thing. I think just the fender washers would be adequate. The bolt heads would have to shear off before the washers pull through and now your talking about a lot of destructive force.

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
Pulpit

Just took mine off a 23' Gulfstream to have some repairs done. 4 3/8" bolts (w/nylock nuts) with 3/16" hard aluminum fender washers (2.5" dia), plus 8 size 10 ss bolts (4 each side). The eye ring/bit also threads on to the tierod thru the pulpit as well.