Where to install Blue Sea Systems Battery selector switch.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have all the parts to put in the blue sea systems 1+2 battery switch, was wondering if anyone else has the blue sea system on a 86 204c and where did you install the switch?. attach pics if you have em. Thanks!

catch22

Reaction score
Typical location for the switch, (on an Overnighter) is on the transom.... starboard side. Access from under the seat. No rule as far as battery designation, but I prefer starboard #1 and port #2. It's not necessary, but I would also mark or tag the cables near the switch and at each battery post.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Remove the storage bins in the aft seats, on the inside wall towards the motorwell you should have a piece of plywood glassed in there. I chose this location because it's pretty dry, acessable and you can drill into it without hurting anything. Or you can drill holes in your transom.

catch22

Reaction score
cdwood said:
Remove the storage bins in the aft seats, on the inside wall towards the motorwell you should have a piece of plywood glassed in there. I chose this location because it's pretty dry, acessable and you can drill into it without hurting anything. Or you can drill holes in your transom.

I agree. That's is a good spot too. Especially if your uncomfortable with drilling/screwing into the transom. Either way, make sure you use a sealent on all the screws.

Also, this might sound crazy, and it may not be an issue with your boat, but I've seen this on quite a few gradys. Sometimes water will puddle up in the drainage tracks around the aft seat areas, (corners) and instead of draining forward, (like it's supposed to) it will overflow into the storage/battery area below. It's more likely to happen if the boat sits bow high on a trailer, but I've seen it happen in a slip too. So you might want to take a look and avoid having anything electrical directly under those back corners. Keeping the tracks clean and free of debree, (leaves, twigs, growth, etc) helps, but it doesn't always prevent it.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
cdwood said:

I was looking at that when I changed my cable boot, there is 3/4 wood there and figure that to be a good spot. Really did not want to have to add another way for water to get into the transom.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
just so I have this right as far as connection goes and nothing explodes,

will be mounting the switch the inside wall of the starboard aft well under the seat.

I am using #2 awg wire, Black for Neg and Red for POS, With the proper connectors soldered and sealed to the wires. I am setting up the batteries one on each side of the boat in the aft wells uner the seats. (Tight squeez with the oil tank on the port side as well)

Currently my engine cables are on the starboard side aft well.

I will be connecting the two batteries negative cables to each other.

Batt 1 Starboard side + pos connects to batt connector 1 on the switch

Batt 2 Port side + pos Connects to batt connector 2 on the switch

Engine Neg Cable connects to Batt 1 Neg
Boat acessory and bildge pump Neg to Batt 1 Neg.

Engine and acessory and bildge + pos goes to the 3 port or the comon on the switch that ties the 2 POS connections on the batts together or select bat 1 or 2.

here is the switch I will be installing:

http://bluesea.com/files/resources/inst ... ersion.pdf

catch22

Reaction score
sfc2113 said:

will be mounting the switch the inside wall of the starboard aft well under the seat.

I am using #2 awg wire, Black for Neg and Red for POS, With the proper connectors soldered and sealed to the wires. I am setting up the batteries one on each side of the boat in the aft wells uner the seats. (Tight squeez with the oil tank on the port side as well)

Engine and acessory and bildge + pos goes to the 3 port or the comon on the switch that ties the 2 POS connections on the batts together or select bat 1 or 2.

You got it.

When you say "bilge + pos"... I assume you mean the float switch, right?

Clean the existing cable ends and battery terminals, (if they're fouled) with a wire brush and apply a suitable grease to all connections.

Again, I recomend labeling, (permanent marker, tag, etc) the positive cables... below the switch and at each battery. That way anytime in the future, you know whats what.

Some people recomend using ss nuts, instead of the wing nuts, so you can tighten them up more with a wrench or socket. What I do is, use the wing nuts but also include a washer and lock nut. Then tighten them up with chanel locks.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
catch22 said:
sfc2113 said:

You got it.

When you say "bilge + pos"... I assume you mean the float switch, right?

Clean the existing cable ends and battery terminals, (if they're fouled) with a wire brush and apply a suitable grease to all connections.

Again, I recomend labeling, (permanent marker, tag, etc) the positive cables... below the switch and at each battery. That way anytime in the future, you know whats what.

Some people recomend using ss nuts, instead of the wing nuts, so you can tighten them up more with a wrench or socket. What I do is, use the wing nuts but also include a washer and lock nut. Then tighten them up with chanel locks.

Yes that correct it is the float switch or (brown wire) on my pump. For some reason the bildge wire on the boat harness is not getting power from the switch , i checked the fuse but no go . so I am actually going to rewire a new switch with a LED Light on to let me know if the pump is running or not.

will any grease do, I have white grease spray and regular axle grease

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
sfc, if you want to get away from the wing nuts, consider SS nylocks. Make em' as tight as you want, they'll stay tight and seal the thread somewhat. You mentioned grease, you might be referring to dielectric grease for electrical connections. Don't think I would use anything else. Let professionals make up your battery cables, this is not the place to mess around. The plywood I mentioned for mounting your battery switch may not be 3/4" but more like 3/8 or 1/2". Be careful when drilling and choosing screw length.