Where's the sending unit on 1980 204F?

ThemApples

Reaction score
I just launched my 204 Fisherman. First day in the water, I smelled gas. I've dried the tank chamber by running a fan through the inspection hole.

I would like to check the sending unit by cutting in another inspection plate. The compartment panel runs under the console. It's a big deal to remove the whole panel.

Does anyone know where the sending unit would be?

Should I just cut a hole under the console and see what I find? I'd rather be more precise.

How do I cut the hole? With an empty tank and lots of ventilation I know, but, what tool?

gw204

Reaction score
The sending unit in my old 204 (1985) was right under the inspection plate in the rear of the tank cover. Does your's not have that inspection plate?

ThemApples

Reaction score
There's one inspection plate. It's in the rear of the fuel tank access panel. The tank is not directly under it. I can see, touch, the tank from there but, there is no way to make any repairs from it.

I asked GW and they said some of these boats had the unit on the bow end.

gw204

Reaction score
Interesting...

I would go ahead and pull the access panel, fix the sending unit and reposition the tank so it's in the right spot. If it's original tank, replace it while you have the panel up.

A 65 gallon tank (I think that's what it is) should run you around $650 + shipping and you should replace the hoses as well.

ThemApples

Reaction score
You're right Brian. That sounds like a winter project even in SC. I was hoping to find a quicker fix by locating the sender and replacing the seal.

Since time (and money!) is everything right now, I bought an 18 gal. external tank. I'm going to run off of it for the next few weeks and see what happens.

I was hoping you'd respond to this thread since you've been down this road with a 204 before!