why is Grady still using wood ?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
My next boat is going to be a pilot house, done with canvas and plastic windows forever!

Without air isn't it a little hot in there?

Seahunter

Reaction score
Grog said:
BobP said:
My next boat is going to be a pilot house, done with canvas and plastic windows forever!

Without air isn't it a little hot in there?
Only if you don't open the windows. :D

Look at it another way. With the cold air blowing thru doesn't it get pretty darn cold in the winter?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't mind the cold (reasonable cold) and with the curtains, it's not bad druring the day. Last fall when out on a cold night, with the curatins closed it started to fog up the inside. When it's hot I want all the breeze I can get.

Seahunter

Reaction score
Grog said:
I don't mind the cold (reasonable cold) and with the curtains, it's not bad druring the day. Last fall when out on a cold night, with the curatins closed it started to fog up the inside. When it's hot I want all the breeze I can get.

What's your definition of reasonable?

The best fishing around here doesn't start until early December and continues into February most years. Pretty common to leave the dock in the morning with the temps in the mid-twenties. Low to mid-forties for a high on the warmer days. Most days in the mid to upper thirties. Add in the 90% humidity and it’s darn right bone chilling after a while. There are days I would give my right arm to be fishing from a pilot house instead of under canvas.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The boat has to be out by December so basically Thanksgiving is the absolute last weekend. Last year there was ice next to the boat on out last trip but that's rare. I'm in NJ so night trips can be in the mid 30's at worst, daytime highs usually 40's. Now in the Summer when it's in the 90's and we're anchored it can get BEASTLY. Trolling or running isn't that bad because of the airlfow but bottom fishing or swimming is just nasty hot some days. If the pilot house had AC, the Admiral would be happy.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
For summer up here, upon arrival in the early AM as I do, no issue, bridge is cool, so open the windows as the sun comes up.

If arrival in the afternoon, like getting into a hot car, just open the windows and when you start moving the bridge will cool.
Have to have windows that open, a must for Pilot House.

I prefer the open (canvas) style back drop Pilots, not the soild back with the middle door- feels too tight in there.

As it is now, the boat is too windy in motion with the forward vinly zipper windows open, at the dock or on the drift they get opened, would be easier with push out glass instead of working the zippers and straps. Side vinly never get opened. Back vinyl gets rolled up.

Either A/C or heat can be rigged for the Pilot house.