Why the change in 2004-2005 Islander?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So, looking at the archived brochures, the Islander 270 in 2004 was like 4660 lbs empty.

In 2005, it went up about 1000lbs.

Anyone know what changed?

This would mean, to me, I need to look for a 2004 270 Islander or older or the 268 etc.

R

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd guess that was the year it was redone for 4-stroke outboards. Just a guess...

Reactions: Zebulon

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So if it handles 4-strokes it is beefier?

Would that mean the 2004 and older do not or cannot support 4-strokes?

Not questioning you guys heh, trying to understand differences is all. If it is a typo, then I have a lead on a 2005 Islander. If not, then the Islanders in only about 300lbs lighter than the Sailfish, which is fine, because when you add that to the 50 or more less gallons of gas, the less beam, it adds up and very doable.

Just educating myself. Going to see what other boat years and models are different heh

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
The max HP in 2005 is 500hp. Do you know what it was in 2004? I don't have a brochure.
I believe Grady started in 2001 strengthening their transoms to accept the higher horse power of the four strokes and heavier engines.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Checked the 2004 and there is no HP change. Not sure why the weight changed.... Sorry!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So if it handles 4-strokes it is beefier?

Would that mean the 2004 and older do not or cannot support 4-strokes?

Not questioning you guys heh, trying to understand differences is all. If it is a typo, then I have a lead on a 2005 Islander. If not, then the Islanders in only about 300lbs lighter than the Sailfish, which is fine, because when you add that to the 50 or more less gallons of gas, the less beam, it adds up and very doable.

Just educating myself. Going to see what other boat years and models are different heh

Here's what I've learned here on this site....
Yes the changes to boats for 4 strokes started happening around 2000ish but not all models at once. They changed to carry heavier weight of the same HP 4 strokes, not necessarily for more HP.
Not necessarily beefier but more hull volume in integrated brackets to "float" more weight at the transom.
There can be problems with scuppers under water and such if you replace V6 2 strokes with V6 4 strokes.

Also, some model names changed "length numbers" with various changes to hulls such as old school motorwell/bracket/molded bracket/eurotransom and so what was once a 25 is now a 27.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Exactly. You got to it before I did lol. I downloaded all the brochures etc from 2000 to 2013 and started comparing them all. It is a serious shame that 2005 was the last year for the Islander. That boat was seriously the best. They REALLY need a legal beam with a stand up head like that, however, I think they should look into bringing the weight down. The last Islander went from 4660 lbs to 5594, only 206 less than the Sailfish, which i cidently jumped to 6781 from 5800, which led me to think what you stated, they changed a fundamental aspect of how they designed their hulls.

Anyway, other than the beam size, buying either the Islander or Sailfish before 2006 does not seem to matter, if the cost of the Islander is almost double. Imo, a super clean 2001 SF at 39k would be better than a super clean Islander 2005 at twice the price....given all other aspects are equal.

Learning a LOT this week about Gradys. Always wanted one, never could justify one but a lot closer to the coast now than I was.

R

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I wish they would bring that boat back. Grady now makes their bread and butter off of dual consoles and not walk-arounds. Funny, they invented the walk-around and there are only 4 models left in production. The Islander seemed to be the perfect trailerable big boat. I remember going aboard one in 2002 when I bought my 192 at G&G Marine in Edgewater, Florida. I was like , this is the perfect boat for me. It was 27 feet long, usable cabin, 8.5 feet wide and trailerable.

Reactions: family affair

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Amen, @SmokyMtnGrady ! I just located a 2004 in Florida, but it has a soft top and no radar.. lol.. I could live without radar.. but I love the hard top. They have a radar arch, but no radar... makes zero sense to me:( They want like 52k for it. Not sure if I want to pay that, but hell.. hard to find a 2004 Islander in good condition. I found another one, identical.. looks like the Hard Merch on that Tuna show.. lol.. cannot see getting that vs waiting :p

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I just cannot pass up such a freaking nice deal. The 2001 Sailfish has everything we need with just 9” more wide. I cannot see paying as much per month for an Islander, just to not deal with the permits. Looks like momma approves the Sailfish.

Going to add air shocks to the truck first thing and then see what else can help the ride.

Russ

Fishtales

Reaction score
if you want the sailfish get it. tell yourself, you tow it slow and safe. if you get stopped pay the fine and from that point forward you get the permit.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Lord...

Okay, if I get a boat that is over 8'6", such as the Sailfish, I have already factored in $240 every three months to pay for permits. Guys, not everyone that asks for advice, is doing so to try to figure out the cheapest way to do something. Some of us want to hear all sides and make an informed decision.

On that "informed decision", it is not contingent upon agreeing that the person giving said opinion, is in fact "informed" either.

No offense, but sarcastic replies do not lend credibility to your opinions, they, in fact, deter from it.

@Fishtales that was not referring to your input, I just got home so am sorta referring to statements made while I was out picking up my bird dog from her training visit.. heh (she needed some expert help and I recognize when that does not need me... sometimes.. lol)

Guys, I am new to the whole "grady" thing, and I love this little family you all have and, to be honest, have been on a mission to find the one boat that really fits our needs, and am excited as heck. I will ask lots of questions, I will agree with much, disagree with some, and change my opinions ever so slightly after mulling it over a few times, but this is not my first rodeo....just a new one.

So, please take my comments as excitement and sincere attempts to learn from your experiences, and meld them with mine, but I will make a decision and hope I can then fit in with your group and get to know more of you, and lord forbid.. invite you to come teach me first hand if you ever want to pass on some knowledge because I am crazy like that... lol.. I love getting to know folks associated with what I love, the ocean.

So..I will stop rambling and go look over the pictures to the new boat I am getting next week and dream about what I CAN do with it.. not what I can't :p

Oh... and change my login name.. hehe.. that too

Oh, and @Fishtales I did see that, spoke with him.. beautiful boat, I just needed a stand-up head.

lol! @Halfhitch I thought you were joking about air bags!.. heh.. ok, so airbags are better? My buddy at Ford told me to get Firestone air shocks and that seemed to be a guessing game of "is it even?" I like the idea of those airbags.. thanks!

Russ

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Wow... seems Firestone's Ride-Rite does not have air bags to fit my truck.. AirLift does, but am told they are not as good

I will call Firestone Monday heh

Nevermind, found them heh

R

Last edited:

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Loved our Islander. Bought new in Feb 2002, sold on January 12, 2019. Tens of thousands of miles under her keel. Up and down the entire Chesapeake Bay, Delmarva circumnavigations, scores of trips to the Norfolk Canyon, ICW and OOW move from Norfolk to Fort Myers Beach, and finally some grouper runs 60nm out in the GOM. Miss her.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The Islander was perfect, but this Sailfish was just too dang nice to pass up. The 2005 Islander we were looking at was only 300lbs less than the 2001 Sailfish we decided to go with, albeit a 8’6” beam, but it was 72k plus 2k-ish in shipping. We are getting an imaculate 2001 Sailfish for 39k and while it is a bigger beam, thus we will keep it permitted, it gives us a little more head room and an extra berth so, all in all, we are pretty darn happy with it, or will be in a week;)

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Congrats on the boat. I hope it serves you well.
I'm also happy to know there will be one less person I'm competing with to find a used 270!:)
Not sure why the weight change in 2004. I think 2003 was the 1st year for the top side design change. I think 2001 was the 1st year for the extended running surface to help float 4 strokes.
I saw the one in Florida with the arch. I have a preference for the bimini for trailering and storage in my garage. The 270's are hard to find without hard tops and no bottom paint. The asking price is high IMO for a bimini topped boat with a trailer that doesn't appear to fit right, and f225's. The market will ultimately decide and my search will have to go on!