Will subwoofer fit

quantase

Reaction score
Hello all, does anyone know the depth between the hull and inner shell near captains chair of a 2020-present grady white 235 freedom? Right below the starboard side cup holder. Trying to figure out can a 12” fusion signature series 3i sub fit there. The dimensions of the sub is 14.02" x 10". The depth of the cone of the speaker is 10". Thanks.

Steve-O

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I have an 8 inch GL subwoofer mounted at the helm of my 2018 Freedom 235 in the location you’re speaking of. It makes a huge difference in the sound. I’m not sure if there is room for a bigger one. I had it professionally installed and the 8 inch was recommended.

quantase

Reaction score
Thanks for responding and the information. May go with the 10” or 12”. It’s good to know that it makes a difference. The sounds seems to be lacking without additional sound closer to the helm.

Steve-O

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Thanks for responding and the information. May go with the 10” or 12”. It’s good to know that it makes a difference. The sounds seems to be lacking without additional sound closer to the helm.
I also had 2 speakers installed in the hard top. My boat only came with 4 speakers and the 2 additional in the hard top made a big difference.

TikiCharterFishing

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Just remove the plastic side panel (2 screws and 5 minutes) and look around. I think the width is tapered from top to bottom following the hull profile. I’d guess it’s about 10” at its widest point. There is lots of room in there.

I always take panels and covers off my Grady’s to have a look around. They’re designed for access . . . except maybe the cockpit drain hoses!

When you reinstall the panel you can caulk it with Almond colored caulk. I think it’s GE mildew resistant but can’t re

quantase

Reaction score
I also had 2 speakers installed in the hard top. My boat only came with 4 speakers and the 2 additional in the hard top made a big difference.
Thanks Steve-O. Yes, I would imagine 2 on the hardtop would be deliver great sound. Can you hear the music pretty well even while moving at a good speed? How did you pop off the center almond color housing that the hardtop lights were in so you can snake the speaker wires around that you placed on the hardtop? I had tried to open it once before, but couldn't figure out how to do it.

quantase

Reaction score
Just remove the plastic side panel (2 screws and 5 minutes) and look around. I think the width is tapered from top to bottom following the hull profile. I’d guess it’s about 10” at its widest point. There is lots of room in there.

I always take panels and covers off my Grady’s to have a look around. They’re designed for access . . . except maybe the cockpit drain hoses!

When you reinstall the panel you can caulk it with Almond colored caulk. I think it’s GE mildew resistant but can’t re

Tiki...-- thanks for the comment. I'm not at the boat right now, but where are the 2 screws on that side panel. As I recall there is a USB port and a draining hose for cups there. I assume the cable and hoses are long enough so that I do not have to worry of popping them when I pull the panel out.

TikiCharterFishing

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
The screws are one front and one rear of the plastic liner. They are covered with an almond color round plastic cap that pops off with a knife edge or screwdriver.

TikiCharterFishing

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Thanks Steve-O. Yes, I would imagine 2 on the hardtop would be deliver great sound. Can you hear the music pretty well even while moving at a good speed? How did you pop off the center almond color housing that the hardtop lights were in so you can snake the speaker wires around that you placed on the hardtop? I had tried to open it once before, but couldn't figure out how to do it.
The hardtop cover has a row of about 8 snap fasteners along its perimeter. Cover a small screwdriver with a cloth and pry one edge down. Once a fastener comes loose the others will follow suit.