windlas problem

wfokas

Reaction score
just took out my new to me marlin, tried the windlass went down no problem, while retrieving the rope would get caught in the teeth an began bounding,only way to correct was to have a guy keep tension on the rope in locker, chain fit beatufully, maybe rope to thin? any ideas?? thanx

dduflo

Reaction score
Windlass line can be kind of touchy so I'd look at the owners manual to see what they recommend, might be able to find it on line. After reading the manual you will see how much drop they recommend, type and size of line, etc etc.
If you still have a problem give us ALL the details and maybe someone has had a similar problem with your make and model .[/u]

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The line used for a windlass is not the same as the line used for docklines.

It is firmer and has a harder finish. Of course, it costs more.

Most folks don't know that, or they decide to save a few dollars.

Result is soft finish line that quickly gets eaten up by the gypsy on the windlass, with the result that you have seen.

Recommend you get 300-feet of windlass grade line, get it properly spliced to 30-feet of chain, and enjoy having a windlass.

Brian

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the line is to spec, you may want to pull it all out of the locker and stretch it out to see if there are any twists in it, untwist, then re-lay in locker with a back and forth pattern.

wfokas

Reaction score
windlass problem

the model is a simpson lawrence 600, the specs say 1/2 line which is what i have, line still getting caught in gypsy????

Officemn

Reaction score
Either your rode needs replacing or there is a severe twist in the line. Try taking the line out and removing the twist and relayer it back the locker.
Hope this helps

seabob4

Reaction score
This maybe a stupid remark, but remember, the rode has to have enough room in the locker to drop and allow room for more rode. If it stacks up, it will simply not drop and the gypsy will just spin, with no action.

Reactions: DoctorOctopus

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nothing stupid at all, the Marlin should have a very deep locker though.

The gypsy is defective or the line is out of spec.

The member can call the windlass manuf and ask them, I'm sure they have fielded this this complaint before.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob, the marlin does have a pretty deep locker but a couple of conditions can cause problems:
1) my 2005 Marlin had a verticle windlass(Lewmar V700 I think) and the new line Grady uses (not 3 strand type... called mega plait... it's a braid and very expensive) would stack up even though there was plenty of room in the locker for more line and the result was a jammed windlass. I told Grady I considered it a safety defect because my wife would have to be on the bow to knock the pile of rode over as it stacked. Of course she did that when the windlass was off and I was sure she was away from it but I didn't like her up there doing that and I always thought about what I would do when anchored in rough conditions. Grady's first option for a fix was to swap the windlass out for a new horizontal Lewmar Pro-Series H1000 stainless windlass. After the boat warranty had expired... THANK YOU GRADY WHITE!! Apparently I wasn't the only one having problems. What a difference between those two windlasses... no more problems and much faster up & down. The mega plait does not stack up with the horizontal windlass.
2) the previous owner may have been an offshore fisherman who loaded up the locker with as much rode as it could handle.

wfokas... seabob's advice may be rght... make sure your rode isn't stacking up... if it isn't then look for the twisted rode as stated or look to insure you are using correct windlass rode as OCNSLR stated.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I hear you Joe.

A buddy of mine with a Marlin had trouble with his new Lewmar, Grady replaced it and changed the rode, all is well now.

I guess he can look in the locker when it starts jamming and see what's going on...

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
... being his friend had enough room through the lower access door to pull on the rode then there is probably only the standard 300' feet in there. And being he is already using a horizontal windlass I think you guys are right Bob on the line being shot or out of spec or something is wrong with the gypsey.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good point Joe -

I want to add (because I'm anal and the weather sucks today otherwise I'd be off and on the boat fishing), if guys are carrying around 600 ft and the like but don't use that much and it is more for storms or the like, why have it all in the locker?

At least on my model not sure of the Marlin or others, the bottom of the anchor locker at the hull V leads into the below V berth area. And the area below the V berth is hugh !

Even though my anchor locker is big, with the forward cabin bulkhead removed I can crawl in there, put the bulkead back and you wouldn't know I was in the boat, perhaps scuppers would be unusually out of the water to catch someone's atention ! @ the longer the drop for the windlass rode the better. So you can look at pullng some of that line back into the below V berth area and leave the working length in the locker. This is what I do with 600 ft of rode, all but little of it virgin.