Windlass problem - 2008 Grady 336 Canyon

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Hi all,

I recently bought a 2008 Grady Canyon 336 with the factory stock Lewmar windlass, however I am not sure of the exact Lewmar model number at this time. The windlass was working ok for the last 6 weeks, but on a trip this past weekend, the windlass now seems to be stuck and the gypsy will not spin in either direction with attempting to raise or lower the anchor. The motor is humming when depressing either the raise or lower button, but no movement of the gypsy in either direction. I removed the cap from the windlass and retrieved the anchor manually when this occurred. When I got back to the marina, I checked again, and found that with the cap off, I can spin the gypsy manually, but the motor seems unable to move the gypsy in either direction. I didnt have much time that day, so I have not torn apart the windlass any further, but I think thinking I need to remove the gypsy and see if there are any visible issues.

Any tips on the repair would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Doug

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Likely a Lewmar 1000 with or without freefall. (Profish) I had an issue with mine. Pulled the side plate off and found a bad bearing, motor was OK. Parts are available on line. If free fall model, make sure the engagement pin is able to recess easily. They have a 5 year warranty and the serial number on the side plate will give you a date of manufacture from their website. Tried to upload their parts diagram, too large.

Reactions: PlannedOutage

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Likely a Lewmar 1000 with or without freefall. (Profish) I had an issue with mine. Pulled the side plate off and found a bad bearing, motor was OK. Parts are available on line. If free fall model, make sure the engagement pin is able to recess easily. They have a 5 year warranty and the serial number on the side plate will give you a date of manufacture from their website. Tried to upload their parts diagram, too large.

Thank you for the tips Bill!