Windshield coating is mottled

Roarque

Reaction score
2006 Gulfstream windshield glass has a distinct "mottled" appearance that reduces our vision in strong sunlight. I'm not talking about the Isenglass.

Is this caused by the "factory" coating?

Is there a solution?

Greg

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
picture?

you could be getting water/mineral spots. what do you wash with? do you dry/squeegee off? hard water in your area? any overspray from other cleaning/polishing/lubricating products you use (or that any close neighbor uses)? i get water spots if i don't squeegee off. ron

Roarque

Reaction score
We wash the boat with fresh water after every trip in salt water and we both wear polarized sun glasses whenever we're on the ocean.

Are you suggesting that the polized lenses of our glasses is the issue?

Greg

westar

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
I see it with polarized sunglasses on. The pattern is even so I figured it was just the way the glass is manufactured or something... So, what is it?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
first, are we talking about you seeing this only with polarized sunglasses, or naked eye?

i will guess not polarized issue since you should be seeing that in almost all auto glass so should be used to it.

fresh water has minerals and chlorine in it. sometimes significant amounts of minerals (hard water).

JeffN

Reaction score
I never see that in my car but do see it on Grady windshields mostly when viewed at an angle. I would guess it is the same effect as not being able to see what is on an electronic display when viewed at an angle. When cruising around the harbor I notice this on the boats with flat windshield glass. I have been told it has to do with the tempering process of the windsheild glass but don't know for sure. Put on non polarized glasses and it goes away.