Winter in the water in NH?

townvet

Reaction score
Can you point me to where I can find the pros and cons of keeping my boat in the water all winter. If the boat is winterized but left in the water is the wear and tear worse than being on shore and blocked? I would like to be able to get on my boat all winter even if shrink wrapped in the water to hang out and enjoy the winter ocean front.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Snow weight pushing the scuppers below waterline would be a concern. Obviously need to keep surrounding water from freezing and so on. Not that it can't be done but comes with a whole new set of precautions. Best to talk to the locals who do this regularly.

CWOT

Reaction score
cold water kills quickly, icy decks, icy docks, icy ladders,

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I work in Cambridge and often drive by the Charlestown Marina. There are many boat in the water all winter. They shrink wrap them in place and at night you can see lights on inside the boats. I've been told that there are some year round "live aboards". I'm sure they deploy bubblers around their hulls as needed and I'm also sure they pay well to keep them there. Also, on the Charles river, there are boats that stay in all winter and the river usually does freeze solid for a time so that's more of an issue for them than the boats in the harbor.

georgemjr

Reaction score
If unwrapped, the floor drains could freeze over and prevent water from draining overboard. Other than that, just growth on the bottom and as mentioned slippery surfaces. A short haul in the spring would take care of all that you would need to: bottom cleaning, paint, buff, wax, lower unit oil, zincs, etc. I guess that is one other precaution: most change their lower unit oil in the fall to assure there hasn't been any water entry that could damage the lower unit. I kept my previous boat in 1 winter and thoroughly enjoyed going to the marina, turning on the cabin heat, and tinkering/hanging out on the boat. I have used it (my old Sailfish) on nice winter days, going for a cruise. I only did this when the temp was above freezing and would allow the motor to drain out before it would freeze up.

townvet

Reaction score
Lgusto, not sure about sharing the new boat but a dock in Sarasota sounds awesome. Boat splashes on April 15.

Thanks all for the winter warnings. I only considered it when I went to the marina on Saturday and saw 30 boats all shrink wrapped and in the water. Lots of folks were on board working on them or just hanging out under wraps. Looked like a good way to spend the day, but not if the boat would take more of a beating.