Winter Prep for Storage

Fishtales

Reaction score
I had the boat pulled today. Traveling for a couple of weeks and didn't want to have to worry about it while out of the country. Sad to see another summer/fall end. Time to think backyard ice rink!

Here is my winter prep list. Am I missing anything?
- Before pulling, dump or pump head and drain water system. Lower outriggers, telescope down poles and remove for storage. Turn mast light and GPS down 90 degrees on the radar mount and lower radio antenna.
- Remove all fishing rods, hooks, gaffs, etc. Wash them down and store away for winter. I will inspect, grease & respool reels as needed during the cold months. I store rods in overhead Cold Tuna racks at home and will round robin two down/up and work when things are slow.

Once on land after the dealer pulls and washes the hull down.

- Take down enclosure. I bring this home, wash it down, let dry and then roll up. During the winter I take out and clean then protect the eisenglass with Plexus.
- Take out large cooler. Wash and store.
- Wash down lines and fenders, store in aft fishing box.
- Clean out the refrigerator. Wash out inside, stick a piece of stryafoam between frame and door and tape door to let air circulate.
- Take out all pfds. I wash with water and bleach and let dry then package up for winter store.
- Take out cushions and cabin pads. Clean these as needed, dry and store.
- Remove fishing tackle and under seat drawers. I take the drawers home and go through over winter and store. Rebuild umbrella rigs and go through all tackle over the winter. Sharpen knives and other routine maintenance. Pull all items from the storage locations and clean/update/dispose as needed.
- Remove (2) ditch bags with safety gear. I will go through these during winter and update flares etc as needed. Do the same with the first aid kit.
- Remove all other items(utencils, plastic plates & stuff), head towels and dish towels. Decide to keep, toss. Store what I plan to keep. Wash all towels.
- Leave the raft on the boat unless it requires servicing. Electronics are hard mounted, so they stay too.
- I install a few cans of DampDry water absorver in the boat. My dealer installs them too and the hanging disinfectant things. Dealer does winter maintenance, shrinks and stores for winter.
- Spray down and wash boat if possible. Some years I can't get a host to it.
- I have a zipper door for the shrinkwrap, should I need to get in over the winter. If I do, I install the door over the wrap with the white tape and then unzip the door and cut out the shrinkwrap inside the door to get in. Tape the inside to the door too. When done, zip up. Save the door in spring for future use.
- I put several of the metal frame with particle board shelving systems in my cellar for boat storage. Gives me my own shelves and everthing is stored in one location.