Winterization of Sailfish 272 w/225 Yam EFI (2 strokes)

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just wanted to make sure that I’m winterizing the boat correctly. Appreciate if someone could let me know if I may have missed anything. First, drained fresh water lines and added non-toxic antifreeze. Turned on all water lines until pink came through. (Note – don’t forget to turn on windshield washer line if you boat has one). Added fuel stabilizer to both tanks (i.e. the new STA-BIL ethanol stuff). Next removed engine covers and spark plugs and sprayed fogging fluid in each cylinder. Cranked engines a few short times before I put spark plugs back on. Sprayed the engine down with a silicone protectant. Made sure oil tanks were topped off. I usually take care of the lower unit in the Spring. Can anyone think of anything I may have missed? Also, I was thinking of getting a cover for the boat but can seem to find one for this model and size boat. Thanks, David

Stonewall

Reaction score
How about:

Raw Water Wash Down?
Live Well?
Shower Sump?
Did you check the Lower Unit Fluid? It should be dark black. If it has any water in it, it will freeze and damage the lower unit.
Pull the Props to check for fishing line wrapped around shaft?
Grease Prop Shaft?
Add Pink Suff to Holding Tank and head?
Wax the hull to protect it from the harsh winter?
Check fluid levels in Batteries
Change Fuel / Water Separators? You don't want any water sitting in those over the winter.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Raw Water Wash Down? RAN FRESH WATER THROUGH LINE AND BLEW OUT AND DISCONNECTED FROM PUMP.
Live Well? SAME AS I DID FOR RAW WATER LINE.
Shower Sump? FILLED WITH ANTIFREEZE.
Did you check the Lower Unit Fluid? It should be dark black. If it has any water in it, it will freeze and damage the lower unit. DID NOT CHECK IT AS I CHANGED IT MID-SUMMER. BOAT SITS ON LIFT SO A LITTLE HARD TO GET TO.
Pull the Props to check for line wrapped around shaft? DONE.
Grease Prop Shaft? JUST DID THIS IN AUGUST BUT I WILL BE REMOVING THE PROPS AND CHECKING NEXT WEEKEND.
Add Pink Stuff to Holding Tank and head? DONE.
Wax the hull to protect it from the harsh winter? NEED TO DO. I USUALLY DO A DETAILED WAX IN SPRING. HOPEFULLY I’LL BE ABLE TO GET TO THIS BEFORE IT GETS TOO COLD OUT. LOOKING INTO SHRINK-WRAPPING ALSO.
Check fluid levels in Batteries? WILL BE TAKING BATTERIES OUT NEXT WEEKEND AND TAKE CARE OF THEN.
Change Fuel / Water Separators? You don't want any water sitting in those over the winter. GOOD POINT. THANKS FOR THE CATCH.

AGAIN, REALLY APPRECIATE THE QUICK REPLY AND THANKS AGAIN FOR THE ADDED TIPS.

seasick

Reaction score
striped bass said:
Also change fuel and oil filters.
I don't change my filters now. I wait until the spring and after the first fire up of the motor. That way, if there is any gunk in the tank or lines, the old filter gets it.
If you have water separators, makes ure the water is drained if present.
I also remove the small fuel filter on the motor, clean it, and replace it empty for the winter. Again, after spring start up, I check it for gunk.

Same goes for plugs. In the spring start the motor with old plugs and burn off the fogging oil. After everything looks good, I install the new plugs. No sense in fouling new plugs

By the way, my lower case oil is not black. It looks about as translucent as the new stuff looks. I drain it before winter storage to check for water. You don't want water freezing in the lower unit. If it's OK and the seals are good, I refill the lowercase.

seasick

Reaction score
ahill said:
I'm glad I live in Florida. My fuel bill is higher though. 8)
So is your air conditioning bill.