Winterizing OX66

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
When winterizing these engines, most folks say you just need to spray in cylinders crank over and then spray some more and replace plugs. Since engines are fuel injected, I worry about getting spray into O2 sensor. I then spray down engine with Protectant. Am I missing anything?

seasick

Reaction score
That's the way I have been doing it for years.
Don't overdo the protectorant. It can buildup and get gummy over time. If you can see the coating, you probably used too much

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've done it both ways- spraying fogging oil into the air intake on each cylinder or just into each cylinder through the plug hole. Never had an issue with the O2 sensor since it see the oil smoke in the spring either way. Going through the plugs hole is easier but the oil doesn't get to the crankcase. If the protectorant you use has silicone in it - do NOT spray into the cylinders. The silicone will kill the O2 sensor whent he oil is burned off- use fogging oil. Also, I changed the plugs in the spring after running the engines to burn off all the fogging oil- they get pretty well messed up from the oil so it's best to change them after the oil is gone.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Been doing it that way for years, never had issues with 02 sensor. In the spring I just take out the spark plugs and spray the electrodes with ether or some other fast-drying solvent to remove any residue on the plug, makes it start a little easier. Make sure the fire department knows they don't need to come out when you start your engine in the spring, because it will be thick smoke for a few minutes, for sure.