wiring 12v charger/cig lighter

boslaw

Reaction score
Any tips on wiring a new 12v charger on my 208? I suppose I'll have to get a voltmeter and start testing things but I'm wondering if I'm missing something stupid. I've tried wiring to my fuse panel (tried with a variety of fuse sizes). I've tried with 2 separate chargers. I've double and triple checked that I've got the correct polarity. Nothing seems to work. Does the motor have to be running for this to work? I've been testing with the key in the ignition and electric turned on. Everything seems to be set up correctly. . .

no problem

Reaction score
If your trying to install a 12v receptacle to charge portable electronics. It's only 2 wires and the only guess I have is, are your battery switches turned on and is the main circuit breaker tripped? If your trying to wire something else, please explain. Thanks

boslaw

Reaction score
yes, I'm trying to install a 12v charger for portable electronics. I know it's only 2 wires - I've run the positive to my fuse panel and the negative to an available negative terminal. The batteries are switched on and working (all other electronics are working fine, so I assume my main circuit breaker is also not tripped). I'm just stumped - it doesn't make any sense why I can't get this to work.

seasick

Reaction score
boslaw said:
yes, I'm trying to install a 12v charger for portable electronics. I know it's only 2 wires - I've run the positive to my fuse panel and the negative to an available negative terminal. The batteries are switched on and working (all other electronics are working fine, so I assume my main circuit breaker is also not tripped). I'm just stumped - it doesn't make any sense why I can't get this to work.

It makes sense if your 'negative terminal' is not a real ground.
So first things first: Connect a test lamp or meter to the pos and neg terms on the receptacle and see if you have voltage. If so, but the receptacle doesn't work, you need to test the receptacle.
Sometimes, receptacles have fuses in them and oftentimes the connected device's stem is too short to make good contact. You can test that center contact inside the receptacle but be careful you don't short to the sides.
If there is no juice at the receptacle, test the +12 v at the fuse you originally connected to with a meter or test lamp. I prefer a test lamp for this kind of test since it draws some current. You can test with the same ground you tried before. If the lamp lights , you have a good pos and neg. The receptacle should work when connected.