Wiring for the wipers on an Islander

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have had this orange and ? striped wire hanging from my switch panel and am not sure where it belongs. After studying the manual schematics it appears that it is a wiper wire. Both wipers operate BUT could this wire be used to return the wipers to the home position which they do not do on their own, I need to toggle the switch until they are home. From the manual it appears that it is a wiper position wire but I do not know which lug on the wiper switch to attach to. Did anyone tear into their switch panel recently?

catch22

Reaction score
Typical wiring for wipers on Grady's are as follows;

Orange - park, (unswitched) hot all the time.
Orange/green stripe - port wiper, (switched).
Orange/black or white stripe - Starboard wiper, (switched).
Black - (ground), motor frame.

Even if the colors are different, the important thing is, the striped wires, (switched) control the wipers.

The solid orange wire feeds full time power to the motors, allowing them to park, after being switched off.

The wiper motor should be marked with - "park", "1" and "2", (1 and 2 are fast and slow speeds). Ground is usually the frame.

The "orange and ?" striped wire you mention, should not be disconnected. Both of the striped wires should be connected to the bottom of the dash switch. One lugg for each striped wire. The switch must be a dpst, (double pole, single throw). The 2 luggs should be side by side.

Are you the original owner?... if not, my guess is the previous owner either had a problem with the wipers, (park) and altered the wiring. Or... they added the second, (port) wiper and couldn't get the park feature to work and again... altered the wiring. That's where the double pole switch comes in. It has 2 circuits. If someone added the second wiper and simply connected the 2 striped wires together, (say... on a single pole switch) the park feature will not work. The wipers will continue to run, (after switching off) due to feed back, untill both hit their park point at the same exact time. that can sometimes be a very long time, lol.

First thing you need to do is, check the wiring on both the motors and the dash switch. Once you have the wiring right... if there's a problem, you may have to disconnect and run one wiper motor at a time to find it.

Even if you have a single pole switch, there is a way around it, but first, check out your wiring.

Hope this hepled, if not... pm me and we'll take it from there.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks catch,
Once we get some decent weather i will get under the cover and see where that wire gets connected.