WTB 1992 or newer 25' Sailfish or a 272 Sailfish

akchad

Reaction score
Looking for a 92 or newer 25' Sailfish, or 272 Sailfish with a trailer. Also very open to a 265 express 2003 or newer. Prefer the Pacific Northwest. I'm in Alaska. Appreciate any leads... Looking to spend about 60K.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have several thoughts as well as a few questions. My thoughts would be to decide on one specific model of boat that you're looking for and stick with it, or maybe have another as a backup if you can't find that specific one or they're hard to find. When someone says they're looking at potentially three different models of a boat then it makes me think that they've not been on any of them and that they're not serious or actually to the point of purchasing but still just in the "looking phase". I just bought a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer back on the east coast in Maryland and drove it back across the country to the Seattle area almost two months ago. I'd been looking for a 228 Seafarer for just over a year before I found the one I purchased in Maryland but I knew exactly what model I wanted as well as motor options being a 4 stroke with as few of hours as possible, also I wanted one with a hardtop and obviously a trailer as I lived over 3k miles away.

The reason for going with the 228 Seafarer over the other models is because I had a 21' Arima before and wanted something slightly bigger, better and more comfortable. The 228 Seafarer also has an enclosed transom along with the transom bracket for more fishing space, it extends the length of the boat, gives you the full sized live well and most importantly I didn't want an open or notched transom while having my boat on a mooring buoy for several weeks/months during the summertime. Lastly, I love that the deck is all one level and that it doesn't have any steps or stairs to trip or slip on. I didn't want to go bigger because the 232 Gulfstream has a 9'3" beam compared to the 228 Seafarer at 8' and is a much more difficult boat to trailer, launch and retrieve on your own. Furthermore, a lot of them have twin motors, which I have no desire to have twin motors or even really need a boat of that size for PNW fishing in the Puget Sound.

Those would be a few of my thoughts... others would be telling people more about what you're looking for like engine options and any other specifics. But my biggest thought is why not figure this out for yourself? It's been over 5 months and I'm hoping that you've been looking on Boat Trader, Yacht World, Boats.com and elsewhere and not just having people look for you? A question would be, is there a difference between a 1992 Grady White 25' Sailfish and say a 1990 or 1991? If not, it would help broaden your search as there's only one 1992 25' Sailfish currently on BT but there are 5 total that are a 1990 and newer. There's also 6 different 272 GW Sailfish boats on Boat Trader for sale and 4 different 265 GW Express boats on there as well. There's even a 265 GW Express here locally in Everett, WA, so my question to you would be, have you even looked yet? There's almost 20 boats that are in the ballpark as to approximately what you're looking for....

Last edited:

akchad

Reaction score
I have several thoughts as well as a few questions. My thoughts would be to decide on one specific model of boat that you're looking for and stick with it, or maybe have another as a backup if you can't find that specific one or they're hard to find. When someone says they're looking at potentially three different models of a boat then it makes me think that they've not been on any of them and that they're not serious or actually to the point of purchasing but still just in the "looking phase". I just bought a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer back on the east coast in Maryland and drove it back across the country to the Seattle area almost two months ago. I'd been looking for a 228 Seafarer for just over a year before I found the one I purchased in Maryland but I knew exactly what model I wanted as well as motor options being a 4 stroke with as few of hours as possible, also I wanted one with a hardtop and obviously a trailer as I lived over 3k miles away.

The reason for going with the 228 Seafarer over the other models is because I had a 21' Arima before and wanted something slightly bigger, better and more comfortable. The 228 Seafarer also has an enclosed transom along with the transom bracket for more fishing space, it extends the length of the boat, gives you the full sized live well and most importantly I didn't want an open or notched transom while having my boat on a mooring buoy for several weeks/months during the summertime. Lastly, I love that the deck is all one level and that it doesn't have any steps or stairs to trip or slip on. I didn't want to go bigger because the 232 Gulfstream has a 9'3" beam compared to the 228 Seafarer at 8' and is a much more difficult boat to trailer, launch and retrieve on your own. Furthermore, a lot of them have twin motors, which I have no desire to have twin motors or even really need a boat of that size for PNW fishing in the Puget Sound.

Those would be a few of my thoughts... others would be telling people more about what you're looking for like engine options and any other specifics. But my biggest thought is why not figure this out for yourself? It's been over 5 months and I'm hoping that you've been looking on Boat Trader, Yacht World, Boats.com and elsewhere and not just having people look for you? A question would be, is there a difference between a 1992 Grady White 25' Sailfish and say a 1990 or 1991? If not, it would help broaden your search as there's only one 1992 25' Sailfish currently on BT but there are 5 total that are a 1990 and newer. There's also 6 different 272 GW Sailfish boats on Boat Trader for sale and 4 different 265 GW Express boats on there as well. There's even a 265 GW Express here locally in Everett, WA, so my question to you would be, have you even looked yet? There's almost 20 boats that are in the ballpark as to approximately what you're looking for....

akchad

Reaction score
First, I live in Alaska. There are about 20 boats that are similar to what I'm talking about.... IN FLORIDA, NEW YORK, MASSACHUSETTS, SOUTH CAROLINA... Well you get the point. One thing I do want is a wider boat than my last 26' Olympic and similar length. The 9'6" beam poses trailering issues. I'm not worried about it here as I'm going to leave it in the water 6 -8 months a year, but getting it here from the east coast is a challenge which is why I'm interested in finding one preferably in the pacific northwest.

That said, The 265 Express is a 2002 and that model before 2003 is known to sometimes have issues with the scuppers being below the waterline. My Olympic had that same issue and I'm not interested in dealing with that again. Besides the fact that it is priced like it comes with a triple axle galvanized or aluminum trailer but DOES NOT come with said trailer (ie priced about 10k high in my opinion.

I missed the perfect 25' Sailfish set up in Westport, WA for 52k. It as sold before I even got a call back and I called on it the day it was posted. The Sea V - 2 hull started in 1992 for 25' and up and I do want that hull so pre 92 is out. I'm looking for 4 twin stroke Yamaha's as a preference based on available service providers in Juneau. Our Suzuki dealer is a criminal regarding the way he does business. Of course Evinrudes are out of production and I have a guy here that will continue servicing them but he's tough to work with and basically a Jerk. That leaves Yamaha and Merc... Could do either but prefer Yamahas. As to narrowing down the model... Well... they all have trade offs and I would be willing to deal with all of them. The 25' would be the easiest for my truck to launch and retrieve but still has an aft berth. the 265 does not have an after berth (or a table) but has a the center helm, which I like and the motors are tucked up on the transom for a little better fishability. The 272 is bigger with an aft berth and heavier to tow and would need more power/fuel than the other two options. I'm 100% fine with any of these trade offs as long I find the right price, for the right boat preferable pacific northwest or at least west coast.

I went without a boat in Southeast Alaska for the first time in 11 years last summer. I'm looking everyday for the right one. I just with that 25' sailfish didn't get away. It was decked out!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
First, I live in Alaska. There are about 20 boats that are similar to what I'm talking about.... IN FLORIDA, NEW YORK, MASSACHUSETTS, SOUTH CAROLINA... Well you get the point. One thing I do want is a wider boat than my last 26' Olympic and similar length. The 9'6" beam poses trailering issues. I'm not worried about it here as I'm going to leave it in the water 6 -8 months a year, but getting it here from the east coast is a challenge which is why I'm interested in finding one preferably in the pacific northwest.

That said, The 265 Express is a 2002 and that model before 2003 is known to sometimes have issues with the scuppers being below the waterline. My Olympic had that same issue and I'm not interested in dealing with that again. Besides the fact that it is priced like it comes with a triple axle galvanized or aluminum trailer but DOES NOT come with said trailer (ie priced about 10k high in my opinion.

I missed the perfect 25' Sailfish set up in Westport, WA for 52k. It as sold before I even got a call back and I called on it the day it was posted. The Sea V - 2 hull started in 1992 for 25' and up and I do want that hull so pre 92 is out. I'm looking for 4 twin stroke Yamaha's as a preference based on available service providers in Juneau. Our Suzuki dealer is a criminal regarding the way he does business. Of course Evinrudes are out of production and I have a guy here that will continue servicing them but he's tough to work with and basically a Jerk. That leaves Yamaha and Merc... Could do either but prefer Yamahas. As to narrowing down the model... Well... they all have trade offs and I would be willing to deal with all of them. The 25' would be the easiest for my truck to launch and retrieve but still has an aft berth. the 265 does not have an after berth (or a table) but has a the center helm, which I like and the motors are tucked up on the transom for a little better fishability. The 272 is bigger with an aft berth and heavier to tow and would need more power/fuel than the other two options. I'm 100% fine with any of these trade offs as long I find the right price, for the right boat preferable pacific northwest or at least west coast.

I went without a boat in Southeast Alaska for the first time in 11 years last summer. I'm looking everyday for the right one. I just with that 25' sailfish didn't get away. It was decked out!
I think you're going to have to expand your search to looking all over the country, if you're seriously looking for a boat as boats in the Seattle area/PNW region are way overpriced. Either that or your budget might have to go up a bit or buy a boat that's more of a project, if you're going to buy locally. That's why I went back to Maryland to buy my boat, of which they were asking $28k for the boat, motor and trailer. I offered them $26.5k and they didn't even give me a counteroffer, they just accepted my offer right then and there. Comparatively, locally here in Seattle there was the exact same boat as mine... 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer hardtop, 2004 Yamaha 225hp 4 stroke motor but it had an older galvanized trailer as opposed to mine which is a considerably newer aluminum I-beam trailer. Anyway, the boat that was sold locally had radar, a kicker motor and newer/nicer electronics, which I'd say probably cost around $5k or so total, and they sold it on the local Seattle Craigslist for $55k.

I couldn't believe their asking price for the local boat and I couldn't believe that I bought the same boat for less than half of that price. I've never run a kicker motor before and also have towing on my insurance policy, of which I hopefully never have to use it. So... even if I were to break down out at sea, I think I'd be just fine waiting for a tow to come pick me up and tow me back in, or I could call a neighbor and ask if they could do it. I'll likely never buy a kicker motor unless my style of fishing changes, I move elsewhere or start doing more fishing in a much more dangerous location or one with inclement weather. I also do about 95% of my fishing in front of my beach cabin on Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound where it's relatively calm waters during the summer. I'm also more of a fair-weather fisherman so while I don't think I really need to buy radar for my boat, it's always nice to have when you really need it, and it does nothing but increase the value of the boat. There have probably been 3 times or so in my 36 years of fishing where the conditions were so bad and there was so much fog to where you really needed radar, and one of those times I was actually out in it. Luckily that was my uncle's old boat and he had radar on it but the other times I'd look out at the conditions/weather from the cabin, see the amount of fog and decide to go out later or pass at fishing altogether. So I'll probably buy that at some point but you can buy a cheap Garmin unit for around $1k or spend upwards of $7k-10k. I'm looking at the Garmin Fantom 18 that BOE Marine just had on sale a couple of weeks ago for just under $1,600 and then maybe get a Garmin 943xsv as well. Those I haven't really seen any deals on and are pretty much $1,399 across the board. But for $3k, it's not going to break the bank or anything and as stated above, it'll only increase the value of the boat. Also, if the other boat sold for $55k and I've got $30k into mine after the electronics upgrade then I'll still be way ahead of the game if for some reason I ever went to sell my boat.

Anyway, as stated above, I think you need to expand your search to the east coast and either have it shipped out here and then up to Alaska or do the drive yourself. That is, unless you find a steal of a deal out here, but like you said with the one boat in Westport, those are usually sold and gone to the next person very quickly. Sometimes they don't even last the day and sell within a few hours if the price is that good. And with you being in Alaska, I'm sure that the seller is going to do a first come, first served basis as opposed to dealing with someone out of state that might not follow through. Because of that, I typically prefer to buy from a dealer or company as opposed to a private party. Typically a dealer or company will make pretty reasonable accommodations like holding onto the boat with a pending offer or down payment, allowing you to have a surveyor come out and inspect the boat and so on. One of the reasons why I didn't go with the 232 Gulfstream is because of the 9'3" beam and several states you have to get a special permit when towing a boat/trailer of that size. I believe here in Washington state it's any trailer over 8'6" wide but it also makes it more difficult to get a larger/wider boat and trailer into a standard width garage door. I pay the neighbor up at our cabin $100 a month to put my boat in his shop/garage for the winter and there was maybe 2-3" of spare room on each side of the trailer fenders? I can't imagine any bigger/wider of a boat would fit in that size of a garage/garage door. If you're mooring the boat then it's obviously not as big of a deal but then still have to store the trailer somewhere. My buddy lived in Juneau for a couple of years and had a love/hate relationship with it. He loved the fishing and the outdoors and everything else like that but hated a lot of the businesses, like you mentioned, because they have a bit of a monopoly so you have to deal with jerks and so forth. And he said he felt trapped with the mountains making it so you couldn't leave, except for by a boat or airplane. There's a 1997 Grady White 268 Islander in Bellingham on Craigslist for $58k, I'm assuming you saw that one already?

Last edited:

Palmolotte

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Looking for a 92 or newer 25' Sailfish, or 272 Sailfish with a trailer. Also very open to a 265 express 2003 or newer. Prefer the Pacific Northwest. I'm in Alaska. Appreciate any leads... Looking to spend about 60K.

Thank you.

Palmolotte

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Did you purchase a boat yet?

akchad

Reaction score
I think you're going to have to expand your search to looking all over the country, if you're seriously looking for a boat as boats in the Seattle area/PNW region are way overpriced. Either that or your budget might have to go up a bit or buy a boat that's more of a project, if you're going to buy locally. That's why I went back to Maryland to buy my boat, of which they were asking $28k for the boat, motor and trailer. I offered them $26.5k and they didn't even give me a counteroffer, they just accepted my offer right then and there. Comparatively, locally here in Seattle there was the exact same boat as mine... 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer hardtop, 2004 Yamaha 225hp 4 stroke motor but it had an older galvanized trailer as opposed to mine which is a considerably newer aluminum I-beam trailer. Anyway, the boat that was sold locally had radar, a kicker motor and newer/nicer electronics, which I'd say probably cost around $5k or so total, and they sold it on the local Seattle Craigslist for $55k.

I couldn't believe their asking price for the local boat and I couldn't believe that I bought the same boat for less than half of that price. I've never run a kicker motor before and also have towing on my insurance policy, of which I hopefully never have to use it. So... even if I were to break down out at sea, I think I'd be just fine waiting for a tow to come pick me up and tow me back in, or I could call a neighbor and ask if they could do it. I'll likely never buy a kicker motor unless my style of fishing changes, I move elsewhere or start doing more fishing in a much more dangerous location or one with inclement weather. I also do about 95% of my fishing in front of my beach cabin on Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound where it's relatively calm waters during the summer. I'm also more of a fair-weather fisherman so while I don't think I really need to buy radar for my boat, it's always nice to have when you really need it, and it does nothing but increase the value of the boat. There have probably been 3 times or so in my 36 years of fishing where the conditions were so bad and there was so much fog to where you really needed radar, and one of those times I was actually out in it. Luckily that was my uncle's old boat and he had radar on it but the other times I'd look out at the conditions/weather from the cabin, see the amount of fog and decide to go out later or pass at fishing altogether. So I'll probably buy that at some point but you can buy a cheap Garmin unit for around $1k or spend upwards of $7k-10k. I'm looking at the Garmin Fantom 18 that BOE Marine just had on sale a couple of weeks ago for just under $1,600 and then maybe get a Garmin 943xsv as well. Those I haven't really seen any deals on and are pretty much $1,399 across the board. But for $3k, it's not going to break the bank or anything and as stated above, it'll only increase the value of the boat. Also, if the other boat sold for $55k and I've got $30k into mine after the electronics upgrade then I'll still be way ahead of the game if for some reason I ever went to sell my boat.

Anyway, as stated above, I think you need to expand your search to the east coast and either have it shipped out here and then up to Alaska or do the drive yourself. That is, unless you find a steal of a deal out here, but like you said with the one boat in Westport, those are usually sold and gone to the next person very quickly. Sometimes they don't even last the day and sell within a few hours if the price is that good. And with you being in Alaska, I'm sure that the seller is going to do a first come, first served basis as opposed to dealing with someone out of state that might not follow through. Because of that, I typically prefer to buy from a dealer or company as opposed to a private party. Typically a dealer or company will make pretty reasonable accommodations like holding onto the boat with a pending offer or down payment, allowing you to have a surveyor come out and inspect the boat and so on. One of the reasons why I didn't go with the 232 Gulfstream is because of the 9'3" beam and several states you have to get a special permit when towing a boat/trailer of that size. I believe here in Washington state it's any trailer over 8'6" wide but it also makes it more difficult to get a larger/wider boat and trailer into a standard width garage door. I pay the neighbor up at our cabin $100 a month to put my boat in his shop/garage for the winter and there was maybe 2-3" of spare room on each side of the trailer fenders? I can't imagine any bigger/wider of a boat would fit in that size of a garage/garage door. If you're mooring the boat then it's obviously not as big of a deal but then still have to store the trailer somewhere. My buddy lived in Juneau for a couple of years and had a love/hate relationship with it. He loved the fishing and the outdoors and everything else like that but hated a lot of the businesses, like you mentioned, because they have a bit of a monopoly so you have to deal with jerks and so forth. And he said he felt trapped with the mountains making it so you couldn't leave, except for by a boat or airplane. There's a 1997 Grady White 268 Islander in Bellingham on Craigslist for $58k, I'm assuming you saw that one already?

Saw that Islander... Would be just right but would like little more room in the cabin that more beam or an express with more beam would offer.