Yamaha 150 4 Stroke - Engine Hour Question

rhofmann89

Reaction score
I'm in the final stages of purchasing a 263 Chase 1997. The boat is in bristol condition and was repowered in 2005 with twin 150 4 stroke Yamahas. Previous owner was hardcore fisherman and put 600 hours on them over the past 3 seasons, however half of the hours are below 1000 rpm. 131 hours between 1000-2000 rpm. Boat has never been redlined and has only 91 hours between 5000-6000 rpm.

I'm planning on extending the YES warranty, but should I be concerned about the engine life. 2 sea trials and all has worked fine.

Thanks.

SlimJim

Reaction score
what? Are you crazy? lol Those engine are awesome. I have heard of up to 3k to 5k in hours on the Yam 4 strokes. What are you worried about? Get the YES warranty and move on and enjoy your new boat!

gerrys

Reaction score
Good luck with the new boat! I don't know what you're paying for the YES but I'd consider chancing without it. Those motors are brutes and should run for many hours without trouble. You also may want to double check to see if those motors were bought during a time when YES was offered as an incentive.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had f225s that were fished a lot and I did not get the yes warranty and I wish I had. At about 1500 hours I started having problems with fuel pumps, oil sending units, computers etc.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I presume a Yamaha mechanic evaluated the engines ?

Hardcore fisherman out here run 600 hrs per year ! (just kidding).
Get the extended warranty, cheap insurance policy. Even for major things owners cause to screw up, I hear Yamaha covers.

The only problem I read about on the F150s was a few cases of noisy balance shaft gears when new, warranty stuff.

Run Ringfree per owners manual, and add fuel conditioner.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about 60 hours in 3 years. If it looks well maintained 600 hours aren't a problem.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
He can ask for a copy of the service records, past three year minimum is expected and should have been maintained by mechanic/owner.

Water pumps, thermostats, lower unit service, fuel filters, oil & filter changes, belts, zincs, valve work if any, O2 sensor cleaning, was it all done to schedule and documented ?

May be a requirement to show if warranty claim is expected to be accepted in future.