Yamaha 200 2 stroke, one electronic tilt very sluggish

JB

Reaction score
1995 Sailfish Sportbridge w/ 1995 Yamaha two strokes,
starboard engine electronic tilt very sluggish and I am very shy to use since it seems like it will quit at any second, port works like a charm....
I have no idea where to start with x-shooting.. any advice would be apprecited.

LI Grady

Reaction score
I had a similar issue last year. In my case it was a trim cylinder leaking fluid.

When you do tilt it up/down do you see a sheen on the water that resembles oil/gas?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Does the motor sound the same in pitch when it runs, as other T&T motor?

If not, bad (corroded) wire connection or ground.

JB

Reaction score
Thank you for your responses! I found it to be just that. I carefully removed 17 mm nut without dropping it in the water and proceeded to fill with Yamaha tilt lube... all with the coaching of John at Edgartown marine..
after it was fixed I moved up and down to find the leak... hopefully i can wait till season end and replace part but at least I know how correct the issue.

tigercat26

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my tilt two years ago and someone recommended adding transmission stop leak. I did it and it worked! I have yet to replace the seal around the main piston which is where it was leaking.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yikes, that won't be a cheap fix. There is that little flip bracket on the engine that is to be used when tilted up, if you use it and relieve pressure from the cylinder you will not pop the seal on the tilt cylinder. My buddy didn't use his and it cost him roughly $2000 to have fixed, needless to say he now uses the bracket every trip. It only takes a few seconds to flip it and lower the engine to take the pressure off the cylinder, I highly advise you start doing it, and for those who haven;t been using it, start before it costs you some big bucks.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
gradyfish22 said:
Yikes, that won't be a cheap fix. There is that little flip bracket on the engine that is to be used when tilted up, if you use it and relieve pressure from the cylinder you will not pop the seal on the tilt cylinder. My buddy didn't use his and it cost him roughly $2000 to have fixed, needless to say he now uses the bracket every trip. It only takes a few seconds to flip it and lower the engine to take the pressure off the cylinder, I highly advise you start doing it, and for those who haven;t been using it, start before it costs you some big bucks.
If you're towing the boat, both GW and Yamaha recommend you do not rely on the flip bracket to support the engine. It's fine if you're stationary @ the dock or in a slip. If you're towing go to M-y wedge.com and use one of their transom savers. I have one on my F250TXR and it works great. My boat lives on the trailer and gets towed everywhere.