Yamaha 225 or 250 for GW 225 Tournament?

Pcolabob

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a used GW 225 Tournament. Should I pay the extra money for the Yamaha 250 hp or does the Yamaha 225 hp provide adequate power? Primary use for the boat will be weekend cruising in Pensacola Bay/Sound with the family. Thanks!

Mike L

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You didn't mention 2 or 4 stroke. I have a 250HP 2 stroke on a 226. Motor is great but loves fuel. With the price of gas you might want to keep that in mind.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It had several test rides on 226s and 228s before I bought my last Grady. I can't comment on the difference in fuel economy, but the F250 has a lot more mid range torque than the F225. If you are talking about the newer 4.2 liter engines, I doubt that there would be as much difference in mid range torque and hole shot. But with the 3.3 liter engines, variable valve timing makes a much greater difference in performance than you would expect from just the additional hp. But the performance of the 225 is certainly adequate for a 22' boat.

Jeff Mauro

Reaction score
225's should do it. I had 225's on my '03 28' sailfish. Great power consumption combination. My '09 330 express needs the 350''s that it came with.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your call , but...I've never heard anyone complain that they were "overpowered " and wishing that they went for less horsepower:wink:

Pcolabob

Reaction score
Bayrat...great advice! btw...You're feedback is going to cost me an extra $3k, but peace of mind is worth it! I currently have a GW 205 with a 150. Been a hell of a boat for us! Can't wait to get into the 225.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We have the 250 on our tournament 225. LOVE it... The layout of the boat allows you to comfortably seat a lot of people, and when you have another family on board with you, and all of their stuff, and you want to pull a few kids in the tube... its nice to have the power, and the 250 definitely can do it. I have not experienced the same boat with a 225 motor, so I can't speak for those folks. All of the posts that I have seen in the past on this topic indicate that they are happy also. Good luck with your decision and your new boat!

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Ditto to what White Horses said. My 2008 225 has the F250 and according to the Command Link I can get 3.5 - 3.6 MPG @ 4100 RPM when properly trimmed out. The motor has been great except for one dropped ignition coil on the middle cylinder on the right bank but Yamaha replaced it under warranty with no questions asked. I am very pleased with the motor and would recommend it to you.