Yamaha 704 Dual Binnacle Installation?

HiggyD

Reaction score
Has anyone done this on their own? I currently have 2 control boxes in my 208. One controls the main engine - Yamaha 200 4 stroke (top mount single) and the other controls the kicker - Yamaha T8 (side mount single). I'm thinking of moving to a single control - Yamaha 704 Dual binnacle. I'm wondering how hard it is to install this and getting it working properly??? Oh, and I'd move to 2 key switches of course. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Dan

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Never done it, but I don't see why you can't do it. The dual binnacle doesn't care what engine it's controlling. You may/may not need new cables for the kicker as it will be a little longer of a distance to the dual binnacle. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

HiggyD

Reaction score
Hmm... Ok. I wasn't sure if there were any special tools needed. I believe on my previous boat (Mercury powered Boston Whaler) there was some throttle adjustment that needed a special tool.

Shop I called to do the install said 6 to 10 hours of labor. Which I thought seemed very high.

seasick

Reaction score
Never done it, but I don't see why you can't do it. The dual binnacle doesn't care what engine it's controlling. You may/may not need new cables for the kicker as it will be a little longer of a distance to the dual binnacle. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.
There will be a few challenges. Of course the dash cutout will be different and you need to check that you have enough room to place the dual control. Assuming you reuse the control cables, it will be easier to attach those to the new dual control as opposed to running new cables. The 704 will assume that the right lever is the normal rotating engine and probably that the left control arm is a counter rotating motor. I would make the right arm the kicker and reconfigure the 704 for a normal rotation left motor which will be your main engine.
The wiring is going to be the real challenge especially if there is no ignition switch at the helm for the kicker. The new wiring could be tricky and require some new harnesses and connectors to mate to tje 704 connectors and the new dual ignition switch ( which also has to be mounted.
So if the mechanic is going to do all that in 6 hours, that doesn't sound overly expensive to me. Just be sure you know what the price includes.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Can the 704 dual binnacle be used as simply a regular control box? Meaning, keep the key switch and such separate from it... reuse the existing key switch? Maybe I'm not thinking straight on this one... I thought there was the ability to just hook the shift cable at different points (above or below the pivot point) on the control arm to pick whether it's counter rotating or not? But again... maybe I'm not taking everything into account here.

seasick

Reaction score
Yes probably but I am not sure if the dual has two connectors or one. If two, connections should be relatively simple. Some applications may require a conversion harness, 7 to 10 pin but to be honest I have no direct experience in this conversion. Regardless, you will need an appropriate 704 installation manual.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes probably but I am not sure if the dual has two connectors or one. If two, connections should be relatively simple.

Aha! So some dual binnacles have only one connection point... I did not know that! That helps to explain things - thanks.

Now I'm curious... how the heck does that work? How could one engine be put in fwd and the other in rev... or vary the throttles? I am curious to see how that works - learn me sumthin'! :)

Last edited:

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dan, yes I have dome that on my 2006 208. Not difficult. I have the dual binnacle, the right control running my kicker and my left running the main. Two separate switches beside each other below and two the right of the steering wheel. The ignition switches are plug and play . Ran my wires under the starboard gunnel in a tube rather than try and find space below. Yes you have to cut some holes in the fibreglass patch for controls and second switch, but all doable. I could send you some pics if you like. Easier in an e-mail than on this site, but can make it all work. I also put a remote switch at the stern for my kicker so I can raise and lower it without getting back in the boat. Let me know if pics would work. Cheers, trapper