Yamaha Control Cables ???

Capt Khaos

Reaction score
I bought a new F250, new controls, new wiring, but am using the old (original) cables. It just seems hard to shift...especially since I have been running a friend's new 175 Merc. Verado lately with the electronic controls. Amazing! Has anyone ever heard about a conversion to these Mercury controls? If not, what are the absolute best, low friction cables I can buy? Will the Yamaha 704 control hold throttle position with such low friction cables? Since I can't seem to sell this thing I want to make it more satisfying to operate.

Thanks for your input,
Dan

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
A new F250 can operate on fly-by-wire controls, which is the same technology the Verado you mentioned is using. I don't know what the cost is but as far as conversion goes it would be very simple- just replacing the old cables with wires and replacing your binnacle.

Capt Khaos

Reaction score
Yamaha Control Cables

OK...apparently the conversion to electronic control isn't possible so how about the Teleflex cables? I don't have access to my boat at the moment (I'm in St. Maarten for the winter) but I know that my cables are silver blue in color. Does Yamaha make their own (or label someone else's) cables? Teleflex makes what they call the "TFXtreme" cable. Are these the very best available? Anyone tried different types? I don't know how long they are for a 228 Seafarer but I'd guess about 24 or 25 feet. I want easy throttle and shift control!
Thanks,
Dan

bc282

Reaction score
with a usual repower, it is highly recommended to replace the rigging cables too as they are a wearable item (unless repower is less than a year old).

only the newest F250's are fly by wire and conversion is unlikely.

As you've mentioned, if you were happy with the yamaha cables and the originals lasted a good number of years, you can go with those and get similar result or try the Teleflex xtremes (their top of the line) cables with the correct ends for your yamaha engines. Unless you can find out definitively the correct length required, pull the old cable leaving a pull string and replace with the exact same length.

PS. i wish i had fly by wire too, with std. dual binnacle the 2 sides are never quite even and require fiddling to match rpm's.

seasick

Reaction score
Call Grady support to verify the cable length. The owners manual usually list it but in some cases ( like my boat) the manual was incorrect.
If you can see enough of the existing cables, the length is usually stamped somewhere on the cable covering.

Capt Khaos

Reaction score
Control Cables

I went to the Uflex website and they show a cross reference from the Mach Zero to the Teleflex TFXtreme. I'm fairly certain thay have the same (if not identical) design. Anyway, I put the TFXtreme cables in but haven't had a chance to splash the boat. They seem great on the trailer but the motor needs to be running for a real test.

When I first pulled out the Yami cables and tried them on the ground they seemed perfect. My first thought was that my problem with hard shifting was elsewhere. Then I put a slight bend in the cables and they froze completely. I'm very optimistic that the new cables will be the solution.

Cheers,
Dan