Yamaha Engine Hour Readout

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
Is there any way to determine the engine hours from the guages? Seems I read about a way to get the guage to display engine hours by pushing a combination of buttons, turning the key, etc. The local guy is giving it the 100 hour service tomorrow, and I'm going to get him to hook it up to the computer and tell me, but I just wanted to know if there was a DIY way. I have a 2000 Yamaha 200HPDI. My motor may be too old to have that capability, but thought I would ask.

SwampGrizz

RJTFD

Reaction score
Hi, You will only be able to get it from the guages if you have the tach guage that has the push buttons for this option. The buttons that are on the fuel flow guage will not read hours only fuel flow miles per gallon and total fuel. The speedometer reads battery and time . The tach some have the push buttons on bottom like the other guages and some dont. I have 2000 150 hpdi's and unfortunately I have the tach that cant read hours also. I had motors hooked up to computer and that didnt work either. I was told by yamaha that there was a glitch in the ECU for that model year that some dont read hours correctly. I purchased my boat in 2006 and hours were 6000 on one and 9 on other new something was not right so called yamaha about it. Motor has been great so far so I didnt worry about my hours I knew they were off.
Good Luck hopefully your readout will be correct. Get the printout so you can see all hours on all rpm's.

alashley

Reaction score
Yamaha now has a aftermarket engine hour meter that is mounted inside the cowling. I just repowered a small Whaler
with the new F70LA engine which does not have console hour meter readouts. The dealer attached the new meter to
a sturdy bracket inside the cover using hook and loop. The meter has an induction coil which goes around the number
one (1) cylinder wire and reads off that. It is digital and reads in tenths if you need that much detail.
It is blister packed and you may find it on the shelf at a full service dealer. If not, the name as listed on my service
report is: Eng Meter, 4-cycle. The cost is $86 and you can do the install yourself. Once you get your actual hours
from the printout after service, you can do the additions off the digital meter. I ordered one for each of the HPDI
after the next service.

seasick

Reaction score
I don't think you can read the hours on that year motor. To my knowledge there is no computer port . Of course I have been wrong many times in the past.

RJTFD

Reaction score
I have twin 2000 150 hpdi's and i'm able to hook up to YDS and get all info off motor. Only thing is hours were way off and I spoke to yamaha and told me it was a common glitch on my motors that year.

seasick

Reaction score
RJTFD said:
I have twin 2000 150 hpdi's and i'm able to hook up to YDS and get all info off motor. Only thing is hours were way off and I spoke to yamaha and told me it was a common glitch on my motors that year.
See, I was wrong again:)

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
Seasick: That's a way of life for me-just ask my wife.

alashley: Thanks for the tip. I will look in to it.

The boat guy is working on it now, so I'll have an idea what the hours are. He hooked his computer up last year when I bought it, and he said it had 186 hours on it. It will be interesting to see how many it has on her this time.

SwampGrizz