Yamaha F225 hours

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Bama96 said:
Is 800hrs on a pair of 2004 Yamaha F225s high? What maintenance is required at 1000hrs?

We have 825 hours on our 2006 F150s. That's high! But your 800 on 2004 is just healthy use. If they have been properly taken care of, then I think it's better than 200 hours, with engines that have hardly been used.

Here is the maintenance schedule: http://members.cox.net/ocnslr/4_Stroke_Maint.pdf

Brian

Bama96

Reaction score
Would hook the laptop up to them for the read out on rpm hours for sure. The boat looks clean they are hanging on and have remaining extended warranty.

SlimJim

Reaction score
at 1000 hours you have to do something thats about 1k per motor, I forgot what it is but I think you have to have something adjusted and it takes time to get to the area. I think the belts need to be changed as well, but I have heard that must of the time the belts look in good shape. Check with Andy at SIM. I don't think 800 hours is many on a F225 4 STROKE.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just did the 1000 hour service and it was right at $1,000. The addition beyond the normal service is replace timing belt and adjust valves.

By the way, I have 1042 hours on my 2005. It is well maintained and I don't worry about the hours. Better to use it than not, in my opinion.

Rob

Bigfoot

Reaction score
usage or not -

I bought an 03 F200 with 162 hours, was concerned about the lack of use...on the third tank of gas and she's running better with each tank.

I think these 4 bangers are dillio with low or high hours. The 2 banger sitting up would have needed a carb rebuild and with high hours a possible re-build.

800 is not High IMHO. I expect allot of the 4 bangers will do thousands of hours EZPZ.

FWIW, I run Stabil blue for ethanol content.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Why do I get the impression if it was 1500 hours wouldn't matter to you?

Or 2000 hours(?)

Beter question - how does above or below average hours effect motor value? Hint: think of cars

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As I mentioned on the other thread you have going, I would rather buy one with 400 hours on them.

800 hours doesn't seem so bad on four strokes, but if they were HPDI's I think that's quite a lot of hours. I would probably buy them anyway though, and just take care of them.

When you have another option for half the hours, why not go that way? I know, more money. You said about $8K more? Looks like you might spend quite a chunk of that difference on the older motors anyway.

Don't forget about the trailer - they can be a money pit too, especially if used in salt water. Take that into consideration on your comparison of the two boats.