Yamaha grinding into Gear

TonyD

Reaction score
Hey there!

I have a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke - before I wintertized, the motor was fine but as I am unwrapping and checking everything out before dropping her in,
I started the engine and thenI did put it into gear (did not race the RPM, just popped it out of neutral) and as I did so, it grinned into gear, like something was mashing up inside the lower unit. This happens with I try both forward and reverse. It does engage though, but it has a crunch when going through neutral. It never did that before.

Doing some research I came across some thoughts as to what it could be and one thing keeps coming up is that the throttle cable needs to adjusted? It seems like the clutch (dog?) is spinning before engaging?
So my question is, does this make any sense? And is this an easy-is thing to do on my own?
All the service mariners here by me won't take the boat in while they are trying to get everyone's boats into the water - so I am looking at a month or so before they will even look at it.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Yeah - it’s likely the dog clutch got ground down and needs to be replaced. if it’s not completely ground you might get some more time with the engine before it requires replacement. To start - I would try to adjust the throttle - not too difficult. Basically you want the engine to idle down low for shifting smoothly. Outboards typically have a throttle adjustment and an idle adjustment - it’s possible those are off from where they should be.

You’ll then try to drain the lower unit gear oil and look for metal shavings in the old oil. That means the lower unit is grinding too much and metal shavings are coming off the gears or dog clutch. Check your manual for Yamaha preferred lower unit gear oil but it’s not expensive and usually comes with the pump to get it into the lower unit.

Make sure when you start up the engine (every time) you give it time to warm up in neutral, let the engine idle down after a few minutes (you’ll notice the rpms drop down), then shift smoothly into gear. If it’s still not warm yet and running at higher rpm when shifting into gear it’ll grind down the dog clutch as it engages. I can’t say I’ve replaced it myself, had to have a marina do it maybe 5 years ago for an older evinrude, but the part itself isn’t very cheap unless you find aftermarket, and that would take time to get ordered/shipped too. It would involve taking off the lower unit and the lower unit apart pretty much entirely. I bet Yamaha has a kit for it with all the parts you’d need. Read the manual before taking anything apart. The hull truth links below say the idle is computer controlled on newer yamahas, in which case you probably want your dealer. This Dangar Marine Aussie on YouTube pretty much has a video for anything outboard

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyD

seasick

Reaction score
If the shifting was fine before storage and isn't now after winter layup, I don't see how the dog clutch could wear down by sitting for the winter :).
My fist check as has been mentioned is to check the idle speed. Then make sure you shift relatively quickly in and out of gear and if testing on muffs, wait a while between any gear and neutral. Out of the water, the prop will spin more and longer when shifting into neutral.
Unless you have actual shifting issues, like slipping out of gear, clanking and grinding AFTER the unit is in gear, I wouldn't worry at this point

TonyD

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses seasick and Rose! I did change the lower unit oil before the lay up and no metal shavings at all in the oil so I know everything was fine before the winter.

I am going to go back and let the engine run a. it longer and idle down and then check shifting into gear to see if it's any different.
Thanks! I'll give an update!

Reactions: PointedRose

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
disconnect the shift cable and shift with your finger. If it doesnt grind then it just a cable adjustment.(or a bad cable) If it still grinds its clutch dog.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Was the engine running that you did last year in the water? And now it is on a hose? Being in the water can muffle things - meaning, it's more pronounced when just on a hose. As was mentioned, a combination of the RPM's being too high and not shifting firmly/quickly enough will cause grinding every time. You WANT to hear a solid "clunk" - don't be gentle when shifting.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Was the engine running that you did last year in the water? And now it is on a hose? Being in the water can muffle things - meaning, it's more pronounced when just on a hose. As was mentioned, a combination of the RPM's being too high and not shifting firmly/quickly enough will cause grinding every time. You WANT to hear a solid "clunk" - don't be gentle when shifting.
Agree - you don’t want to toggle when shifting. You want to fully commit for smooth shifting when the engine is idled low. Be deliberate in your motion.

seasick

Reaction score
I would look for something else to worry about:)

TonyD

Reaction score
ha! I like your thinking seasick! You might be right too!

I let the motor run for a good 10 minutes this time before shifting it. into gear. It sounded better? The crunch is gone (I wish I recorded it the first time) But there is still a bit a clunk.. I understand it should clunk into gear but it just seems much louder than I remember it. And of course, I could just be over thinking this all... maybe when I get it in the water I can tell if anything still sounds wrong...

Here is what I recorded yesterday:

seasick

Reaction score
Good video. It does sound a bit different than what I would expect. It was a higher pitched clink instead of a lower pitched clunk!
See how it sounds in the water. I assumed you used the correct oil and filled the unit from the bottom plug until the oil came out of the upper plug (and the shaft was vertical).

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That's what mine sounded like when shifted out of the water. It makes a lower pitched clunk with the lower unit submerged.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
That's what mine sounded like when shifted out of the water. It makes a lower pitched clunk with the lower unit submerged.
Agree. Sounds good to go for at least a while to me. When in the water probably not as noticeable. Just keep an eye on it for any more grinding sounds. Let the engine warm up each time and you should be ok.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Couple of things. First my mechanic said not to engage the prop out of the water. There is too much gear slop and without a load they are noisy. Tank the motor to test it. As Seasick said - there may be nothing wrong. This happed to me last summer when I changed all my cables.

Second check the gear shift cable and make sure it hasn't popped out of the clip that secures it.

Third is the shift cable adjustment is simple. There is a mark on the housing and the clip that are to be aligned. I don't have my service manual handy but I'm sure there is a YouTube video. Try this one...at about 22 seconds.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
Like I said, time to worry about something else. Have fun!

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
ha! I like your thinking seasick! You might be right too!

I let the motor run for a good 10 minutes this time before shifting it. into gear. It sounded better? The crunch is gone (I wish I recorded it the first time) But there is still a bit a clunk.. I understand it should clunk into gear but it just seems much louder than I remember it. And of course, I could just be over thinking this all... maybe when I get it in the water I can tell if anything still sounds wrong...

Here is what I recorded yesterday:
sounds fine to me, mine are way louder out of the water. I thought the same thing as you did at first but then dropped it in and went fishing.

TonyD

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for easing my mind. I am going to do that check on the shifter cable that Hookup1 mentioned and then forget about it - change the oil, gas filters and drop it in.

Thanks! The advice is much appreciated!

Reactions: PointedRose