Yamaha Guages

Covecutter

Reaction score
I have a 91 Tournament 190 with Yamaha guages. At the bottom of the guage where the red, yellow and green warning indicators are I have all 3 flashing and arrows pointing to all three at the same time. I have tried resetting them by disconnecting the power, but that has no effect.

Is the guage bad or is this some sort of indication that something else is wrong? The engine operates fine.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are the floats stuck? How are the connections under the cowling?

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
ya sorry that was a blunt answer. what about the oil tanks on the side of the engine?? there is a small screen in the main tanks as well that may need to be cleaned. do you have a book? maybe it will tell you.

Covecutter

Reaction score
I will check the connections tomorrow. The floats you reference, I assume are in the reservoir that is on the engine. If they were stuck would that cause any problem with the proper amount of oil being injected?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Assuming it's an older Yami, there is a gear pump driven off the crankshaft that has a bypass that is regulated by the throttle. As long as there is oil in the tank on the engine, it will pump oil in the engine. If that runs dry, you're in trouble.

If you haven't changed the oil filter by the main tank or don't know what was done prior to you owning the boat, change it.

Also check the battery connections.

Covecutter

Reaction score
The float inside the cowling seems ok. The screen that is in the tank, is that at the end of the pickup tube? This is a 1991 Yamaha 175. Is this oil filter look like a car oil filter? All I see coming out of the tank is an oil hose and some wires. I really don't see anything that resembles an oil filter. Could it be in the cowling of the engine?

Could my gauge be bad?...

When I did pull the float out of the tank on the engine , I turned my key to on position just to see what would happen and the alarm sounded in the throttle box, the three arrows still flashed on the gauge. I thought it was a good sign that the alarm sounded so I know if it get low on oil it should alert me. When I put the float back in and put the top on the reservoir and turned the key on, the alarm went off....
Thanks for helping me trouble shoot this. It drives me nuts when something on my boat does not work right...

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The oil filter P/N (646-24251-02-00 STRAINER) can be found at http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx. It's only a small in line filter and I can't remember for sure but I think it's under the tank.

Do the other readings like the trim and PRM work?

You're getting the three flashing triangles but no audible alarm?

Covecutter

Reaction score
I found the inline filter on the bottom of the oil tank. Thanks for the yamaha parts link. I have not had a chance to replace that yet.
Yes, all three triangles are flashing but no audible alarm. All of the trim gauge bars illuminate when I first turn the key on, but then it stops on the #3 position. however, this part of the gauge has not indicated the trim of the motor for a while; long before the three triangles started flashing. I tried to locate the trim gauge arm on the motor but could not find it. I have 90 Yamaha that has a plastic spring loaded arm located on the motor bracket that sometimes needs lubricating for that trim gauge to work, but I could not find this type of mechanism on my 175 yamie. Any ideas on that, guess that will be the topic of my next post....

The tach portion of the gauge does work. It properly displays the RPM's.

Thanks

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
3 flashing means

engine oil tank is low and remote has less than 2 quarts left
engine oil tank sensor is disconnected
a loose connection of the main battery cable or loose fuse

if you want the FACTORY training guide only FACTORY DEALERS/TECHS get shoot me an email