Yamaha lower unit

Little KaTuna

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Hello everyone I have a 2005 Yamaha F225TXRD STD rotation lower unit im trying to work on.The problem is key for water pump was never replaced and now I have to tear down lower unit to replace drive shaft yes I destroyed drive shaft trying to remove keyway.My problem is I cant seem to find the special service tools for sale to get the job done.Does anyone know where I can purchase the tools to do this job my other option is to buy a new lower unit 3,000 dollars.The reason I want to buy the tools is I like to do my own repairs and I have twin 225s on my boat so eventually the other unit will need work done on it.This work is being done on my 2005 26 Grady Express I purchased last year and i'm just getting to the lower units after I already replaced starboard powerhead and midsection along with the new port side midsection.Thank you

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
For your next key removal, use a dremel tool with cutoff wheel and cut a deep groove in the center of the key, almost to the shaft. You will likely go thru a number of wheels. Take lots of time and avoid touching the drive shaft. Once the groove gets near the bottom of the keyway, use vise grips to squeeze the two sides of the key together and pull it out. Had to do that on my 2006 F250s. Too bad about your driveshaft. You can find the tools online.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You don't need to get the Yamaha tools, but they sure make the job a lot easier. But you will need a slide hammer and a gear puller.

It's not cost effective to remove and replace the driveshaft on your own. A shop that has the tools and experience is the answer.

If you want to see how the job is done along with dealing with a Woodruff key from Hell, watch this video:

Breaking down a Yamaha Lower Unit

But you can get a new lower unit with a drive shaft and water pump for under $1000 from SEI:

SEI

I've had good luck with these even though they aren't as robust as the $3000 Yamaha part. But they come with a no questions asked warranty that they honor even if you hit something with the lower unit. The trick is to follow the break-in procedure properly and run the boat in forward and reverse at low rpm before starting normal operation.

Little KaTuna

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
You don't need to get the Yamaha tools, but they sure make the job a lot easier. But you will need a slide hammer and a gear puller.

It's not cost effective to remove and replace the driveshaft on your own. A shop that has the tools and experience is the answer.

If you want to see how the job is done along with dealing with a Woodruff key from Hell, watch this video:

Breaking down a Yamaha Lower Unit

But you can get a new lower unit with a drive shaft and water pump for under $1000 from SEI:

SEI

I've had good luck with these even though they aren't as robust as the $3000 Yamaha part. But they come with a no questions asked warranty that they honor even if you hit something with the lower unit. The trick is to follow the break-in procedure properly and run the boat in forward and reverse at low rpm before starting normal operation.
Thank you and yes the reason I wanted to get the proper tools was to alleviate some of the learning curve I will be going through by making the job a little easier. I will look into SEI