Yet another guy looking for advice...

Which boat would you choose for my intended uses?

• Tigercat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seafarer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GradyGeek

Reaction score
After months of scouring boat websites (including this one) and visiting dealers I am trying to choose between two very different Grady Whites. I would value the input of the folks on this board.

Boat #1 - 2005 Seafarer 228 w/ hartop and Yamaha 225 4 stroke, trailer, basic electronics (GPS/Sounder/VHF) Very low hours on motor

Boat#2 - 1999 X26 Tigercat w/ T-Top and dual Yamaha 200 OX66 2-strokes, trailer and similar (though older) basic electronics set-up

The older and larger boat is about $4k cheaper and needs some TLC but looks pretty good for it's age. The newer boat is in very good condition and basically ready to go in the water.

I live and boat in Ocean City MD. We are looking mainly to do some fishing in the back bays and the usual tubing/skiing/cruising around for a family of four. I like the hardtop and the idea of having a cabin if we ever wanted to overnight on the 228 but also like the unusual layout of the Tigercat and the idea that I could actually take it out in the ocean if I ever wanted to drop a bunch of money on decent deep sea fishing gear. We are downsizing from a 36' cabin cruiser when we boated primarily on the Chesapeake Bay so I know I'll miss the size and amenities of that boat no matter what I choose.

Any comments and or experience with the hulls or engines is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
These are entirely different boats. The tigers were marketed to weekend warrior fishermen who didn't want to turn around at the inlet and go home due to sea conditions and wait for another day, but instead wanted to get from Point A (dock) to Point B (Fish) as fast as possible, and back as fast as possible irrespective of sea conditions (to some extent).

Not so with all other grady models.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
recommendation

I would go with the Seafarer. Rode in a Cat once, never again. Choppy seas will make your liver bleed. I had a Seafarer for eight years and loved it. Got footitus and went up to a Sailfish, had it for almost eight years and ended up now with the Marlin. Wife is happier with larger cabin area and Marlin is a great fishing boat for me. I don't think you could go wrong with the 22.

GradyGeek

Reaction score
Message received...

I appreciate all of you who took the time to read and vote. I will be sea trialing the 228 at the end of this week and look forward to being back on the water more than you know.

I look forward to joining all you happy GW owners for years to come; hopefully without developing a sudden case of "footitis" any time soon! :D

JeffN

Reaction score
I would haqve to try both as a beach cat sailor I kind of like multihulls. Never been on a Tiger Cat but have been on other powered cats and I liked them. Lots more deck space on the cat I would think.

no problem

Reaction score
In the OC back bay where the depth goes from 10' to 2" in the blink of an eye I couldn't imagine running the tigercat. I bought a 17' dual console with bimini for the back bay. I really wouldn't want to ground my Grady's twin 200's. For the inlet and offshore bigger is better. I think you need 2 boats :D

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was at the Grady dealer near Ocean City, MD a few years ago (Taylor Marine?) talking with one of the sales guys and looking at their used boats. They also sold a line of Cats - I think it was WorldCat. Anyway, he should us pictures of him in the WorldCat brochure and was saying they were taken in the back bay area. He said the boat was in less than a foot of water in some of the pics. From that conversation, I've assumed (famous last words) the Cat style hulls have a shallower draft than mono-hulls.

Gary 89 Overnighter/soon 93 Gulfstream

GradyGeek

Reaction score
" I've assumed (famous last words) the Cat style hulls have a shallower draft than mono-hulls.

Gary 89 Overnighter/soon 93 Gulfstream[/quote]

If I was looking at the same size boats it's likely the cat would draw less but of these two boats the monohull actually draws less due to it's smaller size. I've decided to go for the newer boat with the virtually unused 4 stroke. I opted for less maintenance over larger size. If we use the heck out of this boat I may end up wanting to move up in a year or two.

Wish me luck on the sea trial.. but hey - it's a Grady...what could go wrong?!? :D