yosemite national park!

alantani

Reaction score
the middle schools around here put together some sort of deal with the Yosemite Institute to have week long camping trips for the 8th graders. it's one of the high points of the year. there are 15 chaperones, half parents and half teachers, for the 150 kids. most kids tell their parents that they don't want them to volunteer. my kid actually asked me to sign up. how could i say no? we loaded up into busses on easter sunday morning and hit the road.

128.JPG

129.JPG

arriving on day one, there was still a little snow on the ground at the valley floor. mostly it was just mud.

149.JPG

the cabins were actually pretty nice, until you tried to pack four kids in to them.

2331.JPG

234.JPG

the next morning, our first hike was to the base of el capitan.

1611.JPG

1671.JPG

165.JPG

the first order of business was to teach the kids how to properly pee and poop in the woods. for the boys, taking a whiz is easy. hey, we're guys! the world is our urinal. for the girls, they have to squat, do their business, and then shake their bottoms to air dry their butts. the rule is that you can't leave anything "unnatural," like toilet paper, behind in the wilderness.

178.JPG

for both boys and girls, it you have to take a poop, you have to dig a six inch hole in the dirt, dump your load, wipe yourself with leaves or a smooth stick, pull up your pants, and you're still not done. you then have to take stick, stir the poop to mix it up with the soil, bury it and poke a stick in the middle, straight up to mark the spot.

yeah, right ........

1791.JPG

now this was funny as hell!!! this was one of several "team building" challenges. the kids (and one of the adult chaperones) lined up on the log in random order. then they had to rearrange themselves in birth order by month and day. if anyone fell off the log, they had to start all over again. there was not enough room to stand and pass by each other. the kids figured out pretty quick that they could all sit down and move people around by stepping over those that were seated. funny thing was that there were ants on the right side of the log and charred bark on the left side. the two girls on the right absolutely freaked and REFUSED to sit down. they all succeeded, but not without having to figure out a work around for our two princesses.

200.JPG

we spend the next two days at a higher elevation camp called crane flat. instead of cabins, we got dorms. just moving in made the place look trashed. the other problem was the smell. the kids had wet clothes, some of them had skipped showers, and they were getting pretty ripe.

353.JPG

288.JPG

day three was cross country skiing. this was the first time on skis for many of the kids. a couple of them eventually pulled their skis off and walked.

252.JPG

day four was a hike through touloumne meadow to see some of the great sequoia trees. i didn't know that it was actually abraham lincoln that signed the order to preserve these trees.

345.JPG

308.JPG

338.JPG

day five was a bus ride back to the valley floor, then a hike to muir lake at the base of half dome.

389.JPG

394.JPG

383.JPG

day six was a hike going up a quarter of the way on the yosemite falls trail to "ohmygosh" rock. it was a short day because we had to catch the busses at 3pm. the trail was pretty steep in places with lots of switchbacks.

488.JPG

503.JPG

the view was incredible!

5181.JPG

5131.JPG

538.JPG

this is last day, waiting to get on the bus to go home. funny, i hardly saw my kid all week!

5611.JPG

for those of you that have never been, you should really try to visit yosemite. it is truely spectacular! alan

537.JPG

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Real nice report on an awesome trip. So glad you, and those kids, had a chance to do that. The last time I was there, I was just about the same age as those kids. My wife, who is from Norway, has never been there. She and I are planning a motorhome trip at end of the summer.

SlimJim

Reaction score
wow Alan, very nice. Its all about the kids! You are only young once. They grow up fast but will remember the trips like this forever. Its nice that she asked you to go.

TBone

Reaction score
Amazing!!!!, Those photos came out so good they almost don't look

real!!!!! :shock: :shock:

I have never been but I bet seeing that view in person must be Godly.

That's a great experience you gave those kids! Kudos to you!!! 8)

Average Joe

Reaction score
Looks like everyone had a great time in what I'm told is one of the most beautiful places in the country. I hope to visit Yosemite someday.

Thanks for sharing.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When my daughter gets older we'll have to go.

I'm sure the pics don't do it justice.