Zinc Inspection/Replacement...

bartoma

Reaction score
I'm replacing my trim and bracket zincs (trim anodes had only moderate erosion) on my HPDIs, but didn't inspect the cylinder head anodes - frankly, I haven't ever inspected them, and would have to look at the manual to find them...

Are these commonly replaced?

HMBJack

Reaction score
I have a pair of F250's (2006).

I inspect mine when I change spark plugs and have found they have not lost much material over the years so I therefore have not changed them. They are at least 90%. On my engine, the anodes are in between the spark plugs - might be the same on yours.

I Freshwater flush my powerheads every time after use and store my boat out of the water so maybe that helps. I recommend you at least inspect them and go from there. Sometimes a good scrubbing with a small SS or brass wire brush is all they need.

seasick

Reaction score
I haven't touched mine on my SX for 13 years. I am not going to dig in now...

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
These were on my '04 F225 when I bought it. I changed them out to know what I have now and know the service history going forward.

20170731_205929-1024x1365.jpg

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Does changing out the ones near the plugs take a special tool? I didn’t understand the process exactly from looking at the diagram, but maybe I didn’t spend enough time with it. Is it straightforward? Do they get stuck pretty hard?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No special tools. Just remove the bolt off to the side, not the center one. Pair of needle nose pliers and wiggle back and forth while pulling out. The gasket can cause them to stick along with corrosion and salt build up if they haven't been changed out in awhile.

Only picture I could come up with.
IMG_2123.PNG

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Has anyone changed the "internal anodes" on a Yam 150 or the F200i4? If so does one need special tools? Hours on outboard before considering a change?