Recent content by luckydude

  1. luckydude

    228 gas filling problem?

    My buddy who has a 1999 228 says I have an anti spit back system. Anyone know what that is and how to maintain it?
  2. luckydude

    228 gas filling problem?

    My 228 is 6 years old, it's a 2020, so perhaps it's time for some problems. Here is a little annoyance. Lately, when I go to fill the gas tank, the nozzle clicks off way too soon. I did this yesterday, put 55 gallons in to fill the 114 gallon tank, and it clicked off every 5-10 seconds. If...
  3. luckydude

    Radar Mounting

    I have the Garmin dome, I think it was about $2K, whatever one that is. Maybe 18 inch? I don't particularly care for it, it doesn't see kayakers, it doesn't see Montauks but it sees birds? WTF? When I did my pilot house, Charlie Hicks put it up on a pedestal and leaned it down in the front...
  4. luckydude

    Wanted Gulfstream or Fisherman

    I'd encourage the Gulfstream over any center console. You are in colder waters than I am, you want a pilot house. Just my opinion.
  5. luckydude

    Seafarer Livewell removal

    I did this not that long ago with help from a friend. You've gotten good advice on the sealant. The one thing I didn't see mentioned is the hose that connects to the livewell. We took it off the livewell and that was a mistake. Leave it on and disconnect the other end, that's way easier and...
  6. luckydude

    New Member

    You'll like it here, this is a well run forum. I've actually made friends with people on here. Just spent a weekend fishing with David Angel, who I met here 6 years ago when he was looking to buy right after I bought my Grady. We've been talking for 6 years and finally met in person. Had a...
  7. luckydude

    228 owners - have any of you moved the aft bilge pump?

    I think they have always put the aft pump under the baitwell. That's not ideal because I like to see if the switch works annually. Other than removing the baitwell, my only other option is to fill the bilge with enough water that it turns on. The problem with that is it is gonna move all the...
  8. luckydude

    Hello Grady, I got a tuna!

    Excellent job, where did you get it? Also, don't be me, when I first started tieing FG knots, I didn't appreciate how hard you have to pull to tighten them properly. It's the pull that makes the braid dent the mono and that provides the strength. I got some of those knot tensioners, a pair of...
  9. luckydude

    Hello Grady, I got a tuna!

    We're pretty similar, I skip the melting as well, haven't found a need for it and it makes the knot more complicated. I finish with a Risotto knot and I leave about a quarter inch of braid tag. That's my tell tale, if I see that tag getting longer, it's time to retie the knot. I tried half...
  10. luckydude

    Hello Grady, I got a tuna!

    If you are having trouble with the FG knot, watch this: It's true that the FG is harder to tie than an RP but it's not that much harder, I'm no genius and I have tied hundreds of FG knots. And it is finished with a risotto knot which is the same thing you finish your serve with when using...
  11. luckydude

    Hello Grady, I got a tuna!

    I just use the FG knot. And I test all my gear to 70 pounds of pressure. The FG knot, when properly cinched down, is a great knot, much stronger than the RP knot. Don't get me wrong, the RP knot is a fine knot for salmon, halibut, rockfish, lings, all of your smaller fish. And it's easy to...
  12. luckydude

    Hello Grady, I got a tuna!

    And everyone is correct. There is a popular knot, the RP knot, that is you fold the mono over. go through the mono loop with the braid, wind around the two mono down towards the tag, wind up towards the loop and go through the loop again. Easy to tie, looks nice, a lot of tuna caught on this...
  13. luckydude

    Hello Grady, I got a tuna!

    Sean, agreed. In general, I keep the boat in gear on pretty much anything bigger than rock fish. Salmon, halibut, tuna, all in gear. It helps that I have auto pilot so I don't have to be at the helm. For bluefin, I turn the auto pilot off because we are frequently turning to move the line...
  14. luckydude

    Hello Grady, I got a tuna!

    Indeed. It's weird, this is not my first bluefin, just the first in my boat. I've put around a half dozen on the deck in my friend's boat. The weirdness is sometimes you process the fact that you got a tuna in the moment, but more often it is later that it sinks in, in the moment it's sort of...
  15. luckydude

    Hello Grady, I got a tuna!

    My tuna gear is Penn VISX 30s on Seeker 2x4 for fly lining and Penn VISX 50s on Okuma PCH-TRS-something, rated for 80-150, for mad macs. The fly line reels have 700 yards of 80# hollow core with 50 yards of 60 and 80 pound fluoro topshot. The madmac reels have 700 yards of 100# hollow core...