01 evinrude 200 shift problem

wanderer200

Reaction score
I seem to remember hearing a while back about certain omc lower units that had some kind of shift rod corrosion problem. I`m experiencing a shift problem (very stiff) and it`s seems its the rod binding at or in the lower unit.
I have`nt pulled it apart yet and want to stay fishable through the winter. I do have a spare lower from a 96 johnson that`s ready to go in case.
Anyone know anything about this?

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
I'm not sure of any problems with the shift shafts on those engines. I do know I would hate to be 1, 2, or 50 miles out and have a shift rod break with no way to get the boat in gear. I'd have a hard time leaving the dock KNOWING I had a problem that could potentially leave me stranded. But thats just me.
It could be a shift cable thats worn out and binding up or something a lot more serious. :wink:

Tommyboy

Reaction score
I had the same issue with one of my 93' Evinrude's .. it was very stiff and sometimes would be hard getting in gear ..... There is a bushing that the shaft runs through between the powerhead and the lower unit which keeps the shaft aligned .., it was worn .. my mechanic replaced it ... .. she shifts as smooth as silk now (I actually had it done on the other engine as well for good measure) ..... Good luck !

Tom

Barbender

Reaction score
I had the same problem. As Tommy boy explained my mechanic did the same and it worked as smooth as silk afterwards.

wanderer200

Reaction score
Shift cables and controls are 6 mo. old. (New, when I did the repower) I did notice it a little more than normal drag on the shift shaft but it went away after it moved a few times. I use the boat twice a week till end of november. I just took it out a couple days ago and it was real hard to work in the beginning and slowly got better but it is still way to stiff. I`ll bet it`s that bushing.
Thanks for the info.
Can that bushing be replaced without going into the gearcase?

wanderer200

Reaction score
Its the same lower as yours. AWESOME!!
Thanks alot everyone....

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just did mine in Dec,, you have to remove the shift shaft guide cover on the top of the lower unit, try not to break the paper gasket. but I had to replace the 2 o-rings inside the cover. That is what binds the rod. the guide bushing gets dirty but cleaning that night not do it if the o rigns are swolen and gunked up. Order the gasket and the 2 orings before you start the job and replace them. It will shift smooth as silk. make sure you dont turn your shift rod.