01 Islander Stereo wiring ?

Gmanoffshore

Reaction score
I have a wired remote for my stereo factory mounted on the left side of the helm area. I have replaced the radio and it has a wireless remote. I want to run a 1/8 wire for my I Pod along the same path as the wired remote. Does anyone know the path the wired remote takes from the helm to the radio location in the cabin on the port side near the microwave?

It is attached at both ends and I can not figure out the path it takes.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't know if the islander is the same as my 04 Sailfish was but I'll share my knowledge. I installed a new radio in the dash where the remote was and I left the existing stereo in the cabin.I needed to get a new wire to the port side helm speaker as these were now used for the new radio. I called G.W. and they wished me luck on getting a wire through the hardtop. I was able to snake a wire from the console to the cabin door moldings. I removed all the upper trim moldings at the cabin door opening and carefully hide the wire under the trim. Then from the port side of the door I was again able to get a snake through the two layers of the outer and inner shell to the port gunnel. It was very time consuming but I was able to totally hide the new speaker wire. G.W. had suggested removing the refrigerator and running the wire down then aft then up to the console and then from the fridge aft and up to the existing port helm speaker. The speaker part doesn't pertain to your project but I figure that more info is better then less. Use what you need and if you take your time your project will come out perfect.

Another tip, I cut a short piece off an old wire snake. It's maybe 4' long. That makes it much easier to maneuver then a big metal snake case. just keep poking and once you complete each section you can tie a thin piece of cord to the snake and pull it through. I actually leave a cord in every run that I complete for a future wire that might have to be installed.

Regards, Bob

bc282

Reaction score
on my 2002 282 sailfish, i replaced the stereo, wired remote and cockpit speakers.
I did not run new wire to the cockpit speakers as they looked OK, but the wired remote what a PITA.
the stereo head is mounted in the port side of the cuddy, remote at the helm (obviously on the starboard side).
No direct route from helm to stereo head, the wire needed to travel from helm, down the starboard side into the aft bunk, fished behind the enclosed head to the berth/bed area of cuddy, fished/pulled wire (had to buy remote wire extension as i ended up being 4' short initially) where the deck and hull in the cuddy join, thru and around anchor locker and back to stereo head.
Technically not difficult, just time consuming.

You may consider installing the new stereo head in the overhead elec box, but then you'd need to run new speaker wires to the old speaker locations, but the remote to head install would be pretty easy thru the hard top tubing.