01 voyager speed

Marlon Jones

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Hello I'm looking for help with the speed of my voyager/Yamaha ox66 250, my rpm at wot is 5600+ and speed is about 26mph
What's the issue and what size prop would be advisable. Thanks in advance

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Is your prop damaged? What prop do you have now.
You should have something like a 15 1/4 x 17 and get mid 40's for top end at 5500 rpm.

seasick

Reaction score
WOT seems a bit high, check current prop as mentioned. Speed is low but before you go buying a new prop, a few questions:
How are you measuring speed? ( GPS on a MFD) or the speedo info?
How does your hull bottom look?
Is the motor the correct shaft length for the hull?
Did it ever run faster or is the boat new to you.
Finally, if you start from a stop and push the throttle forward hard, do the revs jump to wot very quickly? ( if so, your prop may be incorrect , spun or your prop is ventilating.)

To determine the pitch of your current prop, you may need to pull it since the specs are often stamped on the inside of the hub that faces the lower unit.
The outside of the hub may have a stamp like 17M . That doesn't tell the whole story.

Last edited:

PT G

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Hello I'm looking for help with the speed of my voyager/Yamaha ox66 250, my rpm at wot is 5600+ and speed is about 26mph
What's the issue and what size prop would be advisable. Thanks in advance
I'm following this one for sure...what size prop are you currently running? I've got the same setup circa 2000 but haven't been out in it long enough to start my data base....

Zac

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I own a pair of gently used OX66/ 250's . Durability not in question. As of late I learned they are very finicky. O2 sensors, fuel injection nozzles, fuel rail pump pressure, throttle positioning sensors, fuel age and some other considerations. I'm not a prop expert and I won't pretend to know. What I have found is a great Yamaha mechanic with years of experience with the OX66. He could possibly suggest an alternative to expensive prop replacement and dice throwing, if you know what I mean. Send me an email if you are interested in talking with him.

Reactions: PT G

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Top speed for my 97 Voyager with OX-66 250hp motor and Yamaha 17=M stainless prop is 35-38mph at 5,300-5,500rpm's. Loaded with fishing gear, 75gal of fuel, and 3 adult males is 30-32mph
Running at 4.200-4,400rpm's, my speed is 25-27mph.

Let me know if you want the prop specs

17-M Prop.jpg

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I emailed Grady to get the performance data sheet for my boat and they emailed it back to me in about an hour or so. I’d reach out and see if they have the information on your boat as well. 26 mph @ 5,600 for WOT seems very slow to me as my boat, although slightly different, is around 45 mph and I’ve personally gotten it up to 40 mph. With a different prop, less weight and so forth I could definitely see it being a 45 mph boat though.