05 Sailfish transom Concern

Edmac

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I’m in the process of purchasing a 20055 Grady White 285 Sailfish with low hour clean tubes ‘04225. The bilge area lower engine mounting bolts have serious rust bleeding from them and the gelcoat cracks spidering out from the area. There is also the beginning of stress crack staring in the port engine wel with the screw beginning to back out from the trim. I am thinking this is the beginning of a full-on transom repair that is not even worth having the boat surveyed? And move ion to another boat. Any thoughts with be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6788.jpg
    IMG_6788.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6791.jpg
    IMG_6791.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6794.jpg
    IMG_6794.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6799.jpg
    IMG_6799.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 81

Fishtales

Reaction score
That transom is toast. Move on. The seller should have disclosed it and the surveyor should have documented it.

Reactions: Greatty

seasick

Reaction score
I would be concerned about the condition of the transom core. The rust runs mean that the core, at least around the engine bolts is wet. How far the wetness goes and the extent of rot is hard to tell. The crack means that things are flexing. Do you see any stress or bigger cracks on the outside of the transom or by the other engine inside the bilge?
A survey and moisture test by a qualified person would help determine the extent of any rot. If the rot is local to a relatively small area, a total transom rebuild may not be necessary. So the first issue is whether the seller is willing to adjust the asking price based on what the surveyor has to say and whether you are comfortable taking on a boat that needs that kind of work. It is fair to say that a full rebuild of the transom would cost upwards of$12,000 at todays typical rates.
If you are able, using a pointed tool like an ice pick and pressing it into the gap where the crack and noting how deep you can push it in can tell you if the core is soft versus just wet.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That transom is toast. Move on. The seller should have disclosed it and the surveyor should have documented it.
Per the OP's first comment he said... "that is not even worth having the boat surveyed?", making me think that he looked at the boat first but hasn't had a surveyor inspect it yet. Because yes, that would be something glaringly obvious that the surveyor should've caught beforehand, as well as I agree that the seller should've also disclosed the issues as well. Sadly though, not all sellers are honest.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m in the process of purchasing a 20055 Grady White 285 Sailfish with low hour clean tubes ‘04225. The bilge area lower engine mounting bolts have serious rust bleeding from them and the gelcoat cracks spidering out from the area. There is also the beginning of stress crack staring in the port engine wel with the screw beginning to back out from the trim. I am thinking this is the beginning of a full-on transom repair that is not even worth having the boat surveyed? And move ion to another boat. Any thoughts with be greatly appreciated.
I mean in the second picture you've got rusty standing or pooling water on the bottom portion, which would make me assume the issue is considerably worse than what the seller is telling you. If they're telling you anything at all. Which is crazy because you'd think the seller would clean all of that up before the boat was looked at by you or a surveyor. I'd be running away very quickly and move on to the next boat. Also, in the second picture is the seam cracked where the bottom meets the vertical portion? It's hard to tell via the picture, but it kind of looks that way, which would make issues even that much more worse.

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
You can use the survey to lower the price. On a sailfish the transom is going to be at least 10k to replace. I was dealing with the same thing on a 2005 release. The port side showed as wet a 10 foot section. Talking to the Fiberglass company that did the transom on my last Grady said about 15 to 20K to repair.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Talking to the Fiberglass company that did the transom on my last Grady said about 15 to 20K to repair.
And this right here is exactly why I recommend anyone getting a surveyor for higher dollar purchases, especially if they are first time buyers or don't know what to look for. I can only imagine how many people over the years paid full price, or above, for something that needed $10k, $15k or even $20k of additional work done to it just to make it safe.

Reactions: Stephnic

Edmac

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
i would be concerned about the condition of the transom core. The rust runs mean that the core, at least around the engine bolts is wet. How far the wetness goes and the extent of rot is hard to tell. The crack means that things are flexing. Do you see any stress or bigger cracks on the outside of the transom or by the other engine inside the bilge?
A survey and moisture test by a qualified person would help determine the extent of any rot. If the rot is local to a relatively small area, a total transom rebuild may not be necessary. So the first issue is whether the seller is willing to adjust the asking price based on what the surveyor has to say and whether you are comfortable taking on a boat that needs that kind of work. It is fair to say that a full rebuild of the transom would cost upwards of$12,000 at todays typical rates.
If you are able, using a pointed tool like an ice pick and pressing it into the gap where the crack and noting how deep you can push it in can tell you if the core is soft versus just wet.
Thank you for the heads up. I am glad to have confirmed my concerns. I am really not interested in taking on a project of unknown scope. Looking to spend more time using the boat than working on it. I had that issue with my last boat and lost two seasons to repair related problems.

Edmac

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
From the broker, when I first called on this boat, it was already in contract with a deposit when I called to see it. The broker called me back late that afternoon and said that prior deal fell through and explained it was due to due to a cracked headliner (the plastic piece that typically cracks), and it was now available if I was interested. I went over that afternoon with my flashlight and checked the access panels throughout the boat and discovered this in the transom bilge. I did not think it was even worth having the boat surveyed to confirm my suspicions. I really do not want to get into something like this not knowing the scope and extent of the issue which is almost certainly going to be more once it is openned up.
I do appreciate the input.

seasick

Reaction score
Probably a smart move. I find it hard to believe that a buyer would can a deal just because the headliner is cracked (That is a very common issue and although it looks 'ugly' it is not structural at all)

Fishtales

Reaction score
There are plenty more boats out there. Don't fret, one will come along.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Indeed... it took me just over a year to find the right boat, for the right price and that didn't need anything done to it. Patience is key, as is shopping around and finding the best deals out there. Seems more like a buyer's market right now and not a ton of boats are selling, just be patient and don't throw away your money on boats that aren't in the condition that they're advertised to be in, or that need a lot of work. Pay the extra money for a surveyor and don't look back.

Last edited:

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Keep looking and be ready to ready to pounce if you find a good one. A good condition at a good price will get picked up immediately. I had 2 boats fail surveys before I found my current boat.