06' 33 Express auto pilot computer location

bbattista44

Reaction score
My Simrad AP is coming up no computer, troubleshooter says check connection at computer.

Problem is I can't find the computer. Anybody know where they put it.

Boat came with New Garmin 7610vsx's , would they possibly not need the Simrad computer .

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Same thing happened to me last summer. I had to change a bad GPS antenna and after, my Simrad AP 24 spit out the same message. No computer. Did a "Network Discovery" from the MFDs, saw the AP listed on the network but still got the same message when I powered up the AP. Tore everything apart, found the computer behind the MFDs, checked connections, fuses etc. All good. Did some Googling and said screw it and did a re-install following steps in the manual. If you don't have one, you can download from the Interweb. After the install, I had to do a "Dockside calibration", mostly for the virtual rudder feedback, then a calibration out at sea for the rate compass where you go in a big circle. Done. Just follow steps in the manual. Good luck.

bbattista44

Reaction score
I'm at that point of doing a reinstall,. I have the original manual for the AP . May be an obvious question whats MFD

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Multi Function Display

The Admiral just corrected me.... As usual..... It happened after I had a local electronics guy come out and do a software update on my system.

Here is a pic behind my Dash. The AP computer is the box with the yellow wires. Nice Install but NMEA 0183. Notice the Network Hub? Discussed going to NMEA 2000 but since everything working OK, not practical.

fCFVasbl.jpg

HMBJack

Reaction score
I agree with the above input. On most 330's, my guess is the AP Computer module is mounted behind the dash.

If you are seeing a "no computer" message, it could be a loose connection (if you're lucky), or a blown circuit board in the AP Module (less lucky).

Ensure there is 12V power to the AP Module and importantly determine if the all important FUSE was installed.
Maybe, you just blew the fuse to the AP Module. If a fuse was not installed, a power surge could have blown the circuit board. Step one is to have a look behind your dash panel. Check all cable connections and check your power leads and ground wire. Also check your NMEA connections. You'll find it...

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
can you locate the pump? if so, look in that general area. if not, both may be behind the starboard bulkhead in the mid-berth (where the head tank is located). In my '09, the power assist is also in there.

other places to look:
1. the locker next to the head, look up inside
2. the port side mid-berth bulkhead.
3. the helm area starboard side access panel where the water heater is
4. helm port side access panel (not sure what '06 has, mine has the helm a/c there)
5. on the inside and underside of the electronic pod (i mounted my GSD upside down in there)
6. under the electronics pod well, that's a pain.
7. behind the dash as noted above.
8. under the stern deck hatch where your genset is.

there's probably more spots. i hate it when things aren't readily accessible for maintenance. good luck, ron

an if that was a question, MFD is multi function display.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
In my 2007 330 they put the course computer behind the AC/DC electrical panel. Not the best place in my opinion. I would change it to behind the engine gauges if it wasn't already set up. The hydraulic pump is also back there, down low and to port. Makes the wire run to the pump short, so that's good. The fluxgate compass is in the bilges in the aft cabin area. Hope you find a loose connection. Good luck!

Bill