06 F250s on a 96 Marlin?

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sad day today as a buddy blew his starboard VX 250 2-stroke ending his boating season... :(

He is evaluating options at the moment and one possibility is a pair of used F250s but he is concerned about the extra weight of that generation 4-stroke which appears to be on the order of 100 lbs per motor. Are 10-year-old four-strokes a viable option for that 20-year-old boat?

Thanks,
-Scott

LastChance

Reaction score
I believe Grady redesigned the Marlin hull by enclosing the engine bay to add more buoyancy for the extra weight of the 4 strokes. I just don't remember which model year this happened.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
He's back in business. He found a used 250 2-stroke the same year he is going to slap on.

The reason the engine blew was because it ran out of oil and the low-oil alarm didn't go off. There was still an inch of oil in the main tanks but apparently that is not all that oil is usable and with a faulty low-oil alarm - bye bye motor. It threw a rod right though the manifold and exhaust was coming out of the new hole... :(

I guess the moral of the story (if your running 2-strokes) is don't wait for you low-oil alarm to tell you when to add oil to the tanks..!