06 Marlin Transducer

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I know this topic gets covered on just abut every fishing/boating website out there but I am looking for advise from you guys.

My boat came with a Furuno 1944C radar/chrtplotter/fishfinder flush mounted connected to a Airmar 600 watt in hull transducer. This transducer works adequately in water up to 600 feet (give or take) but is almost worthless in anything deeper. In addition, being an in hull transducer, it cannot read water temperature or speed. I primarily fish for tuna in the warmer months as such temperature is rather critical. All of our canyons here in NJ are all over 1000 feet if memory serves me correctly. Since I have not yet pulled my flush mount dashboard yet I am not sure if I have the correct 'black box' for the 1000 watt transducer I assume I will need. I will certainly purchse the 'black box' if needed.

I am aware that Grady has two mounting flats on the hull for transducers, I assume these are for the thru hull type. I would like your opinions on thru hull vs in hull for my needs. In the summer we fish the canyons (500-2000') and inshore (50-250'). In the spring and fall we fish along the beach for striped bass in 15-60 feet of water. The boat is kept in the water from May 1 through Dec 1. I am really wrestling with the idea of what type of thru hull if I go that route and placement. On the other hand I realize many of you offshore guys use the in hull and a thru hull temp only transducer. I do not trailer the boat, so transom mounted is probably not needed. When I visit the Furuno and Airmar websites, it appears that the more you spend on a transducer (and properly install it) the better the performance. I do not want to break the bank, but I realize this will cost me some money any route I take.

Please share your thoughts.

gilpri

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Scott

At the risk of being called a traitor (I used to own a GW) I can offer the following link to the Albemarle owners site;

http://www.albemarleboatowners.com/foru ... php?t=1659

We had a discussion regarding transducer types - There's also a link to the Airmar site - a lot of info there, they make most of the transducers for the various brands, including Furuno

If you could find a spot for the 1000 watt M260 shoot-thru you would have an incredible FF

Good luck - don't tell anyone you looked there :wink:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I went with the 1000w shoot thru M260 with a dual Raymarine E 120/80. All I can say is awesome...

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Guys, thank you for the advise. I am strongly leaning towards the M260. I am gathering I should use a smart sensor for temp. (and speed I guess). What are you guys using, transom mount or thru- hull for temp? Where did you install them?

Thanks again.